Purolator PL14612 - 5154mi - CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was run for 5154mi from 10/16/15 to 1/1/16 in my 2011 Mazda2.

It gets autocrossed(this had 3 events on it) and driven ~100mi daily all highway.

It sees 4500+ RPM regularly when merging and redline when autocrossing of course.

It's a PureOne filter. There was no tearing, and the media was not easy to tear or separate at all.

It was replaced with a Fram TG7317 which is taller than the 6607 that cross references with the PL14610 I cut open.

zvds8zW.jpg

XnpyfAe.jpg

3a3Hi3I.jpg

fjdzdHq.jpg

3Yp2uIv.jpg

ai0aVA1.jpg

b8kmETE.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car51
Made June 10, 2015 2nd shift. Looks good

Yep, pretty new build. OP, does it have a center tube with holes or slits? If it has slits, then it might also have the updated media.

Great pictures! Thank you for the cut and post
smile.gif

Purolator fixed the tearing issues by 2015, and the 14612 never tore that much anyway, because the shorter height compared to the diameter made for a stronger structure. In contrast, the 14610 was one of the worst offenders!

F06G10E2
June 10, 2015

Had your filter been only a few weeks newer (July 2015, F07G..), you would've gotten the new innards in the yellow can.

What oil did you use, and what did you replace it with? Will you be running the same OCI again?

Thanks, I knew someone would decode it for me
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Nice filter cutter!

Thanks! I bought this exhaust pipe cutter about 8 years ago for one time use... Figured I'd put it to work at some point since I joined BITOG.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Yep, pretty new build. OP, does it have a center tube with holes or slits? If it has slits, then it might also have the updated media.

Pulled it out of the trash for you... Ha.

ggeEHuG.jpg

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Great pictures! Thank you for the cut and post
smile.gif

Purolator fixed the tearing issues by 2015, and the 14612 never tore that much anyway, because the shorter height compared to the diameter made for a stronger structure. In contrast, the 14610 was one of the worst offenders!

F06G10E2
June 10, 2015

Had your filter been only a few weeks newer (July 2015, F07G..), you would've gotten the new innards in the yellow can.

What oil did you use, and what did you replace it with? Will you be running the same OCI again?

Good to know!

I replaced it with Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 and a Fram TG7317. I do fixed 5k intervals. I've had great luck with it previously:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3901463/2011_Mazda2_1.5l_-_Pennzoil_Pl

1BOUJjy.jpg

I am doing the UOAs primarily to track silicon content since I just added a K&N cone filter at the last LOF interval. I have the sample I collected today which will go out some time this week. The last UOA was a baseline with OEM filter for future comparison. I'll post in the UOA forum when results come back.

Edit: everyone else, you're welcome! This site made e start geeking out on oil. I also did a change on my sister's 08 Sentra that she ran 6500+mi on cheap oil(wherever she took it last) and some flimsy filter. She called me up and asked what the red can looking light on the dash meant
shocked.gif
it got 2.5quarts added just to get in the safe range to drive it to my place! Will post what that filter looks like in another thread maybe later...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
So is it OK to use a Puro Classic again? I use Wix but used to buy Classics a lot due to the oil change deals at AAP.

I didn't cut it open(didn't think to back in October), but the above UOA was with a classic Purolator filter. No indication of problems based on that.

Edit: and here was the ordeal with my sister's Sentra:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3965948#Post3965948

Last edited:
Media looks different than earlier ones with pleat spacing and tearing problems.
Although spacing is still not the best, the media looks thicker, tougher and not wavy. Good to see changes!

This one looks like a winner.

Last edited:
looks good no tearing and no wavy pleats, Very strange for a tearolater.
I won't trust them for a couple of years until i see a lot of the new ones looking good after 5000 miles. Time will tell i don't think they list all the important data either which makes me want to still stand clear of them.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
looks good no tearing and no wavy pleats, Very strange for a tearolater.
I won't trust them for a couple of years until i see a lot of the new ones looking good after 5000 miles. Time will tell i don't think they list all the important data either which makes me want to still stand clear of them.

The 14612 has escaped any of the same problems seen on many other part numbers across the Purolator line. Much of this has to do with the shorter length of the filter, I believe. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 14612 to anyone where this applies. The slightly longer version, the 14610, well that's another story.

Finally see how the ADBV sits on one of these Puros with round inlet holes. Good pics. I like the way the ADBV fits inside the center tube. When the lady putting ADBVs on in the assembly line looks at the clock while she puts them on, it's still easy to see the ADBV sits correctly inside the center tube at the store. The other kind that's not visible in the center tube, with the oval inlet holes, that depends on the lady whether you are the unlucky one like I was to get an off kilter ADBV.

Originally Posted By: Pepsibottle1
Va Beach!
laugh.gif
You hit the Pungo Airfield events don't you?

I'd say that Puro did rather well.

Yep! You go out there regularly? If you see me some time stop and say hey!

nYH8rSU.jpg

WfLt0PE.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back