Modern Fluid Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came from a 04 5.4 3V F150 to a 15 5.0 F150. I had an Edge tuner in the 04 for years and my coolant temp was 190 or 195 (IIRC) with trans temps usually about 155F in normal conditions. I gave the Edge Tuner for the 15 a try and didn't like it. BUT I did have it hooked up for a bit and was surprised at how much hotter the 15 F150 runs.

Coolant was 215F-220F
Trans Fl was 190F

I'm not sure of validity of the source but I read that the trans on the 15 actually has a thermostat to keep the fluid warm?

11 year difference between truck is night and day, I get that. But id coolant thermostat is 215F than I would think these engines should be riding synthetic only as these temps were with ambient temps of 34F.

Really makes me appreciate what we ask our oil to do in modern times.

I would think the coolant temp of 215 would be better than 190 - being able to better regulate trans and coolant/oil temps leads to longer life.

It probably has an oil cooler so oil temp shouldn't be any higher.

The transmission thermostat is probably because of all the extra trans cooling it has. And Fords don't lock the torque converter until the temperature is up to a certain point.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
But id coolant thermostat is 215F than I would think these engines should be riding synthetic only as these temps were with ambient temps of 34F.

Coolant temp is not the same as oil temp. I hope you realize that.

Nice truck. Wishing you many happy miles.

Increased thermodynamic efficiency and reduced losses is how I rationalize those 'high' working lubricant and fluid temperatures in our modern stuff.

No pressurized cooling system in my Model A and iirc our '60s vintage SBC recommended fitting a cooler thermostat for the summer driving season ha.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
But id coolant thermostat is 215F than I would think these engines should be riding synthetic only as these temps were with ambient temps of 34F.

I did but not exactly.....I would see my coolant temp rise a lot quicker than my oil temp (in the 04). Once everything was was warmed up (long highway drive) oil temp would be right around the coolant temp. I don't have the technical answer but that was my experience.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I did but not exactly.....I would see my coolant temp rise a lot quicker than my oil temp (in the 04). Once everything was was warmed up (long highway drive) oil temp would be right around the coolant temp. I don't have the technical answer but that was my experience.

This can really vary with application. In my old A4, during winter, coolant temp would be around 190F while oil temp would be around 170F, for example.

In any case, most modern vehicles run at least semi-synthetic oil these days, as it's nearly impossible to make purely mineral 0w-20 or 5w-20 oil.

11 year difference between truck is night and day, I get that. But id coolant thermostat is 215F than I would think these engines should be riding synthetic only as these temps were with ambient temps of 34F.

Typically in V8 engines without supplementary oil coolers the oil temp is higher than the coolant. Lightly loaded smaller engines may be different.

All our fleet trucks run coolant temps at 205-210, and they run the trans fluid and the oil through the same radiator. My new RAM has a heat exchanger on the trans that is said to be just as much to warm the trans fluid as to cool it.

Since you probably have electric fans their trigger points can be a major influence on your temps...

Won't comment on the coolant temps. Don't have any experience with that generation's normal parameters there. However, if I recall, since these now have electric fans and shutters to keep the radiator warmer, I'm not surprised even at temps in the mid 30's. Guessing that the system will respond a lot quicker than the old school mechanical fan on the '04 (I drive an '04 F150 as well)

On the trans side, those numbers are perfectly normal. I have the same transmission (6R60/80 in my '07 Explorer with the 4.6. The trans normally runs about 190 in normal driving, and 200 isn't too hard in hard driving. It has a separate transmission cooler that only sees flow by thermostat, as well as the unit in the radiator. Those numbers were a shock coming from the normal 150ish number in the F150!

Oil temps can vary dramatically even with the same coolant temp - particularly in cold climates. My '04 F150 that normally sees oil temps around the coolant temp in the summer runs around 170 when its cold - like this morning when it was 5 degrees out.

Where are those numbers measured?

I'm 99% sure that my ATF temp is measured on convertor outlet, as I can see it change when the convertor unlocks--the Scanguage updates every second or so, and i'll see the temp change on nearly that basis. So it's not the pan temp. Nor the temp in the gears, nor the temp after the cooler... Long story short, each temp sensor (model year to model year) might be in a different spot, and not directly comparable.

My coolant temp will easily vary 10F while driving. 188 down hills, and maybe 198 going up. I think it's a 190 or 195 thermostat, but who knows when the fan kicks in. The ATF likes to hang out around engine temp, but only under lockup. High speed driving will have ATF above engine temp by a couple of degrees (unlocked will have it much higher--saw 241F on one long hill recently!).

Originally Posted By: supton
Where are those numbers measured?

I'm 99% sure that my ATF temp is measured on convertor outlet, as I can see it change when the convertor unlocks--the Scanguage updates every second or so, and i'll see the temp change on nearly that basis. So it's not the pan temp. Nor the temp in the gears, nor the temp after the cooler... Long story short, each temp sensor (model year to model year) might be in a different spot, and not directly comparable.

My coolant temp will easily vary 10F while driving. 188 down hills, and maybe 198 going up. I think it's a 190 or 195 thermostat, but who knows when the fan kicks in. The ATF likes to hang out around engine temp, but only under lockup. High speed driving will have ATF above engine temp by a couple of degrees (unlocked will have it much higher--saw 241F on one long hill recently!).

I travel in NH often. The area I live in NY is similar as far as the roads and hills are concerned. I saw a lot of temp spikes when it was 90F+ and hitting a steep grade with no trailer in tow.

My 6.7 F350running down the highway empty runs 90 C on both oil and coolant, trans runs about 60C. Not much change on hills, maybe a degree or 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back