Synpower MST 5-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't realize this was an LL-04 oil when I bought it during the Autozone clearance. I already do short OCIs (6K miles) on my wife's 04 530i with the M54 engine. Do you think there would be any problem using this oil with low TBN (7) for the 6K OCI?

Starting TBN may seem low, but this oil seems to have decent TBN retention. Should be good for 6k miles if the engine is in good shape.

Originally Posted By: rainman49
Didn't realize this was an LL-04 oil when I bought it during the Autozone clearance. I already do short OCIs (6K miles) on my wife's 04 530i with the M54 engine. Do you think there would be any problem using this oil with low TBN (7) for the 6K OCI?

I think you should be fine.

With decent fuel and good conditions, LL-04 can go out to 18k miles/2 years, so you ought to be OK with 6k miles.

LL-04 is intended for low-sulfur fuels but still the high OCI - so it is more "eco friendly" in response to less harsh conditions over BMW's long factory interval.

6K mile should certainly be doable on any good synthetic that stays in grade - it would be interesting to see a UOA on an LL-04 oil after an intermediate run with typical US conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back