Gas wars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
And that was for ethyl.
If anyone here remembers what that is.
I know a few of you do.

"I'll take Ethyl if she's working!"
(Classic line mouthed by Burt Reynolds in the movie "W.W. and the Dixie Dancekings")

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
When gas was 50 cents a gallon how much was a dozen egg and a gallon of milk ?

Currently a gallon of gas is $2(national average) and a gallon of milk is more than $3 and similar price for a dozen egg.

Think about it, gas is currently cheaper than milk and egg.

So sad but true....

4* and 5* fuels being the norm at around 18/19 pence per litre, and maybe 1 in 5 petrol stations had a diesel pump in the far corner, covered in cobwebs through little use.

The lowest I recall was in KY around 2000 at 75 cents a gallon. Gas may be cheaper than milk per gallon but I don't go through 20 gallons of milk on a trip.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
The lowest I recall was in KY around 2000 at 75 cents a gallon. Gas may be cheaper than milk per gallon but I don't go through 20 gallons of milk on a trip.

What I mean was the cost of extract crude oil, refining, transportation, taxes ... end up less than milk is amazing to me.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Anyone here old enough to remember....?

I still have a three wheel pump ( a Wayne IIRC ) set at .339 when it was taken out of service. As a kid, I pumped a lot of red dyed ethyl at not much more than twenty cents a gallon.

I haven't seen a price war since the mid 70's. It costs way too much to sell motor fuels at retail these days for that kind of nonsense.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
All you guys with that low cost gas.....what was the minimum wage back then, and what was your weekly pay?

I can remember back in NJ, when I was about 16 (1956), I had a P/T job after school and weekends, and was making (I think) about .75 cents an hour.

I made $50 / week after school and on weekends; I was 12 or 13 when I started gas jockeying. Early 70's.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
When gas was 50 cents a gallon how much was a dozen egg and a gallon of milk ?

Currently a gallon of gas is $2(national average) and a gallon of milk is more than $3 and similar price for a dozen egg.

Think about it, gas is currently cheaper than milk and egg.

And people sip their $30/gallon coffee while complaining that the gas companies are ripping them off.

While I'm not old enough to have seen prices that everyone has posted, I do remember the gas wars in the late 90's, possibly year 2000 as well.

My parents took pictures of the Exxon $.79 gasoline being sold and I remember my dad saying that we would probably never see that again in our lifetime. So far he was right. There was a Mobil station across the street too, they were competing with each other. The Exxon station has since closed, nobody could figure out why they were right next to each other.

I remember when Sunoco had the dial-a-octane pumps where you could select the amount of octane you wanted....

I remember these as well...

ubbthreads.php

Originally Posted By: grampi
I remember when Sunoco had the dial-a-octane pumps where you could select the amount of octane you wanted....

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
And that was for ethyl.
If anyone here remembers what that is.
I know a few of you do.

"Get some gas. Make it ethyl. If you can't get ethyl, get Mabel."
( -- Groucho Marx to Chico, in Duck Soup)

I hadn't started driving when gas was below .55/gal., but I recall prices like some of you mention. A friend of mine in the very early '70s used to mention price wars when he worked part-time at a local service station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back