Mercury Quicksilver 20w50 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed oil in the Triumph Thunderbird last weekend. The dealer I bought the bike from said they service every used motorcycle and the oil and filter were changed when they got it in. I had my doubts he was being honest, It had a Triumph oil filter on it. Why would a dealer spend $20 on a genuine Triumph oil filter when he could put a $6 Fram on it to sell and the oil although somewhat Gold, was still Dark. I know a used car salesman never lies right?? I drained it and it was super black , too black for the 500 miles I put on the bike. I used the Mercury Quicksilver 20w50 Full Synthetic oil (This bike has a wet clutch) and a Fram 6017A Filter. The Bike shifts so smooth and sounds much more quieter, even during revving it up. Although I don't know what oil was in the bike or how long it was in there. This oil shifts so nice. I will have to say I am quite satisfied with it and will probably run this oil as long as Walmart carries it.

I run the Castrol 10w50 in mine. Runs fine. You drained the Factory fill. My 1600 takes 2500 miles to turn the oil dark. You might want to rethink the QS oil and get a JASOMA oil for your wet clutch.

Last edited:
This oil is for wet clutches. It has API SF/SG/SJ/SL/SM and Jaso MA/MA2. I think the wet clutches thing is way overrated though. I have used nothing but 15w40 HDEO in all my four stroke bikes with wet clutches with no problems and I even tried ATF Type F in a two stroke wet clutch gear box with no ill effects. Currently, my little Yamaha DT175 has 10w30 SN oil in it and works fine. I would think it was changed sometime before. It has 4000 miles on the bike. It has alot of accessories and they are all Triumph brand, so I am thinking the original owner was no stranger to the dealership. It does make me mad that the dealer I bought it from lied. I said I was going to change the oil as soon as I got it home and he gave me this story how they have a local guy that services all the bikes. So either that guy is ripping them off or the dealer is lying. That oil definitely had more than 500 miles on it. I just love the smooth sifting. I heard on forums the Triumph likes the thicker oil.

Not sure if im reading your post right but Valvoline 4 Stroke Convential is MA

Valvoline 4 Stroke Synthetic is MA2

For some reason Valvolines website does not make that distintion between the synthetic and convential but its on the
bottle and other store websites.

Last edited:
Good to know, I have always been a big fan of Valvoline Conventional 4 Stroke oil. Always used in in my past Vstar 1300 and many posts, few UOAs in here by me around/between 2011/2013.

Ive always been curious about Quicksilver MC oil, noticed it years ago in Walmart. Always used Quicksilver Marine in my inboard/outboard boats, not that means anything, but always liked their Marine Lubricants.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Good to know, I have always been a big fan of Valvoline Conventional 4 Stroke oil. Always used in in my past Vstar 1300 and many posts, few UOAs in here by me around/between 2011/2013.

Yeah Valvoline said the Protect data sheet is accurate, the bottle stickers are old, both oils have always met the ma2 standard, even when the new standard didn't exist.

I ran QuickSilver 20/50 in my 96 GPZ1100. I liked the shift feel and the price. I normally run Rotella 15/40.

I ran it once in a pinch with my Triumph Speedmaster. Worked fine...probably a Group III synthetic. Dumped it at around 3,500 miles when it started to feet a bit notchy in the left foot.

I just scored 12 quarts at a Walmart that is closing for 50% off. So it looks like my Triumph will be getting it as well.

Walmart might be your best bet... might find a winter sale at a marine dealer... doubtful...
Another option is a big marine dealer may have this oil for volume discounts out of a drum, by the gallon.

Originally Posted By: Tuffy1760
Walmart might be your best bet... might find a winter sale at a marine dealer... doubtful...
Another option is a big marine dealer may have this oil for volume discounts out of a drum, by the gallon.

This is the 20w50 Motorcycle oil not the 25w40 marine oil. But I did run the 25w40 in my Harley once and it was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back