What'cha Running in your HD Shotgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious as to what you guys are running in your HD Shotgun.

00 buck?
0 buck?
#4 buck?

Anyone run anything different?

I read a lot, and have been watching youtube videos on penetration tests in ballistic gel at close ranges.
I've heard a lot about people using birdshot for indoor social use, but I'm not comfortable with a 4" deep wound.

Some of the highbrass BB rounds, like FlightStopper Steel, look interesting due to their cutting ring and extra penetration at closer ranges.
However I'm still concerned with lack of penetration with steel, and the fact that it's steel. It bounces off of hard targets where Lead deforms.

What's your opinion?
What do you run and why?

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
20 gauge. #3 buck

Excellent load for 20, especially premium copper plated.

00 buck.

On a similar topic, my HD shotgun is a 12 gauge. Depending on the loading, it can be a real gorilla to shoot. My wife is not comfortable with it, and she really needs to be.

Is a 20 gauge a significantly more comfortable gun to shoot? Is it generally as effective in a HD role as a 12 gauge? Or, for that matter, even a .410? I imagine a .410 would be pretty easy to shoot in a long gun.

410 with Winchester PDX1

Also have some buckshot for the 20 if needed. Love my pump 410 tho. Originally got the 410 for the wife's bad shoulder but have really come to like it. It's not a 12 or 20 but in close range you'd better believe A hit with a shell of PDX1 would drop a person like a rock.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
00 buck.

On a similar topic, my HD shotgun is a 12 gauge. Depending on the loading, it can be a real gorilla to shoot. My wife is not comfortable with it, and she really needs to be.

Is a 20 gauge a significantly more comfortable gun to shoot? Is it generally as effective in a HD role as a 12 gauge? Or, for that matter, even a .410? I imagine a .410 would be pretty easy to shoot in a long gun.

A gas-operated, semi-auto 20 gauge is what you need.

Pump is superb in experienced hands, but not ideal otherwise.

With the gas mechanism, recoil is very soft (relatively speaking) and #3 buck (20 pellets @ .25 caliber) works exceptionally well for this purpose.

My best friend in HS was killed by a 7 1/2 shot to the head by another friend playing with a Mod 1200 Winchester.

Its all deadly.

979634.jpg

Round 1 = 7shot
2 = 7 shot
3 = 00 buck
4 = 00 buck
5 = slug

so if you hang around it only gets progressively worse

I use low recoil 00Buck or low recoil 1buck. When I lived in apartments or condos I used 4buck for over-penetration concerns. I keep two low recoil slugs on the side saddle.

I don't agree with birdshot at all and no serious trainers recommend alternating rounds in the tube either. Just load buckshot in the tube and practice slug changeover drills.

2 3/4" low recoil buckshot will blast completely through a person no problem. 3 inch magnum shells are overkill. They have massive recoil (200-250% more), slower follow up shots, and you lose 1 rd capacity. Not sure why you would handicap yourself with 3 inch magnums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back