thermoking refrigerator compressor for air compres

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone have any info on these units? its a thermoking twin cylinder compressor, i want to use this as an air compressor for shop air. i have a 40 gallon tank to mount it on. this has a pickup tube and oil pump so i presume oil does not need oil to circulate through the compressor side to provide lubrication. parts for this a cheap enough so i'd like to keep it and fix it up even if i don't find a use for it.

this is about the most info i can find on it, tried emailing but didn't get a response.
thermoking.com

also- what oil should i use?
wink.gif

P1020120.jpg
P1020119.jpg
P1020118.jpg

if they use reed valves, often they are from easily rusting steel and will fail.

They do not have enough fins for constant duty

they may be large displacement and take a lot of power

Rod

When I was a kid my dad made an air compressor from an old freezer. It worked, but was mostly useless for anything except inflating tires, after waiting about ten minutes for the pressure to build up. Apparently refrigerant compressors operate at a relatively low volume/high pressure. If you want to do this project just for the heck of it, to see if it can be done, then go for it. If you want to build yourself an air compressor that will be useful, I suggest buying a real air compressor pump from Grainger or Northern Tool as a starting point.

My Dad got three of these type compressors (with motors) for his air compressor system. This was around 1960. Before the refrig. compressor was one sealed unit (motor and compressor). They worked I guess, I do not think he had any pneumatic tools back then, so maybe used only for painting. I know in the mid 1970s he bought a normal air compressor and ditched these.

I would use something like this if I wanted or needed more pressure than a regular compressor can give. You'd need a tank that can take the high pressure though... 200+ psi shouldn't be an issue for a refrigerator compressor but it will be for a regular air tank.

i think it does have reed valves of some sort. not sure of the material. the electric motor i have is something like 1hp or 1.5hp, maybe more. pretty sure it uses 240volt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back