1995 Land Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.
A neighbor is giving me a 1995 Land Rover, has aluminum body.
Maybe a Discovery?

Anyway the issue is thieves cut the cat out.

What are my option to register it and get inspected in NY with respect to the cat?

OEM or CARB
frown.gif

If its just a visual you could weld a cat shell to the outside of a length of pipe for a quick'n'dirty or get spending for a legit repair.

Originally Posted By: Donald
What are my option to register it and get inspected in NY with respect to the cat?

For a '95, wouldn't you just be subject to NYVIP Low Enhanced testing? This is merely a visual inspection.

They sell universal OBD-I cats for $50-100. Ask first, but I think Cali is the only state that requires a fancy CARB approved aftermarket one, even though NY is a Cali emissions state.

For example, the walker exhaust catalog mentions Cali and not "cali and NY".

I assume you have a "safety inspection" that requires a tight exhaust and a "converter present" but no more than that.

Yeah, why not just have a muffler shop weld in a generic one?

Has NY changed inspection in the last 10 years that much? I had a German V8 with TWO inline cats; I had one cut out compeletely and since I still had one in place, I had no inspection problems. But I moved that long ago.

you are in luck, under 96 in NYS there is no longer a smog inspection only safety. So either find a mechanic who is a buddy of yours or get a generic Cat wielded in there like the above posters said

Originally Posted By: Donald

Perhaps you could ask them in person before you had your vehicle fixed/inspected.

I live in NY and I haven't needed to do emission testing. Just a visual inspection for $21.

Last edited:
When I lived in PA we had an emissions inspection and they just used a sniffer near the gas cap to see if it leaked. Cost $35 was normal. If it failed you need to go buy a new cap for under $10 and show the receipt to pass it. I always wondered why could I not just buy a new cap every year and save the sniffer test.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Im going to assume that it needs a cat to pass

It's a visual inspection.

Infer what you'd like from my emphasis.
wink.gif

Chris is right, you need a cat to pass, as there is still a visual inspection for tampering (eg, taking out the cat).

You can get a universal cat for not too much money and weld it in.

And good luck on that Disco; they are money pits
crazy2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Inspections or not, you're breaking the law anywhere replacing a cat with a straight pipe.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
crazy2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I'm also thinking that, this is likely to turn into a classic example of "the high price of free stuff". The converter is only the beginning.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mk378

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
crazy2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I'm also thinking that, this is likely to turn into a classic example of "the high price of free stuff". The converter is only the beginning.

OP should do well enough with this, though I'd prefer the train wreck of GearHead-expy-ali-docius getting his hands on one.

Originally Posted By: Finn
Could be also Range Rover or Defender.

Not in the US, Defenders go for stupid money.

The last 1995 Defender I saw for sale, granted was very nice, but it was $60k.

I never understood the cult following in the US because they are basically an aluminum Jeep. For what even junk ones sell for you can simply just buy a nice Jeep that will do anything it will do, and be in good shape!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

I never understood the cult following in the US because they are basically an aluminum Jeep.

Agreed. However, there is a 1971 Land Rover close to where I live that I'd like to own. It's one of them that has the spare tire over the hood. It has sat outside for 15+ years and I see it every time I drive a certain local road. It's owned by an out-of-state lawyer who I went to high school with and he remembers me, but the last time he was in the area he said he wouldn't sell it. He tells me it has the optional overdrive, but other than that, he is clueless when it comes to vehicles or maintaining vehicles.
I'd like to own it, but I'm pretty sure it will rot into the ground before he does anything to it.

Originally Posted By: zvm77us
you are in luck, under 96 in NYS there is no longer a smog inspection only safety. So either find a mechanic who is a buddy of yours or get a generic Cat wielded in there like the above posters said

Best post in this thread.

Originally Posted By: joegreen
I live in NY and I haven't needed to do emission testing. Just a visual inspection for $21.

The normal NY inspection program had the shop hook up their computer to your vehicles OBDII and force a self test of the emissions system. That info is reported to Albany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back