Manual transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Having owned two older Chevy's with factory M-21 gearboxes I did not find their whine unacceptable at all. Rather more of a satisfying mechanical feel to them.

AND a fully synchronized first gear...

The M21 was nice transmission. I can almost hear the whine reading this thread.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Having owned two older Chevy's with factory M-21 gearboxes I did not find their whine unacceptable at all. Rather more of a satisfying mechanical feel to them.

They come in different flavors. Meaning one may be noisier than another. But they had that wonderful "ka-chunk" feel that was pure mechanical joy to someone who loves driving...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

They come in different flavors. Meaning one may be noisier than another. But they had that wonderful "ka-chunk" feel that was pure mechanical joy to someone who loves driving...

My brother had one in a worked 1972 Camaro. He decided he wanted the engine and transmission, not the car, so he pulled them and sold the body of the car. A few years later he decided to sell the engine, and transmission, they ended up being sold separately. The guy that bought the transmission put it in a 70 Chevelle, and ended up missing 2nd gear at the track and trashed the transmission about two years later. He actually had the stones to ask for his money back. LOL What was funny was a friend of ours was with this guy at the track the day he screwed up, and witnessed the major driver error. Needless to say he was refunded nothing.

True, but I believe that the racing XTrac's 'gear scream' have them beat, by far, in the sound level/db department, even though they are both straight cut gear 'boxes.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

True, but I believe that the racing XTrac's 'gear scream' have them beat, by far, in the sound level/db department, even though they are both straight cut gear 'boxes.

They sound especially awesome mixed with the 7.0L (05-09 GT1), 6.0L (2009 GT2), and 5.5L (2010+ GT2) LS engines. They also use a real trick adjustable limited slip which I think is from AP Racing. I loved reading how they were able to get the gear clusters for the gearbox and make the case for fit around them to be as small as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back