Lubro Moly MoS2 and slight ping in 2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Well, I'm not one to attribute miraculous perceptions to any particular product BUT!

For some time now, I've had a very slight/faint ping on acceleration in the 2.4GDI while using 87 octane. Hyundai has steadfastly proclaimed - NORMAL, no problem what so ever. Ok, i accepted it. I usually use 93 octane anyway. On my last oil change, maybe two weeks ago, i added 150ml(half a can for ea. vehicle in sig.) of MoS2 to the crank case along with new fill of Mobil1 0W-30. I also filled up with Shell 87 (fuel gauge was slightly below 1/4 tank).

Ever since the OC, the pinging has completely and totally gone. So i did some research and came across this:

Quote:
Page 43 - Fuels & Lubes International 2013 - Quarter 3
http://fuelsandlubes.com/digital/fli/2013-Q3/files/assets/basic-html/page43.html

Molybdenum and phosphorus on the other hand, showed good suppression abilities as the LSPI frequency decreased when these elements were increased. At values of 0.07% and 0.15% by mass of MoDTC and ZnDTP respectively, LSPI disappeared. The contribution of Phenolic AO was not found to have any significant effect on LSPI frequency in any manner.

I think the LSPI study was with very small displacement turbocharged engines (such as an Ecoboost 1.5L for example), where they achieve V-6 like torque and power from very small displacements.

I'm not sure how transferable that is to a relatively large displacement 2.4L naturally aspirated engine.

Glad to hear your spark knock is gone regardless!

Thanks Hokiefyd,

I was thinking the same thing but i cannot think of another reason. Especially since it is still 87F here.
smile.gif

If things change, like the return of pre-ignition detonation, i'll post it.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
less oil loss to the combustion chamber? may or may not be due to the MOS2

My thoughts too. Some users of MOS2 report less oil consumption. Oil in the fuel lowers the octane.

Originally Posted By: Surestick

My thoughts too. Some users of MOS2 report less oil consumption. Oil in the fuel lowers the octane.

I believe the reports of MoS2 lowering oil consumption, in some instances. My reasoning is the MoS2 is a solid and works in a similar fashion to the Restore Additive. I believe it is swept into imperfections in the cylinder walls and remains there, and is replenished with every sweep of the rings. The only difference is MoS2 is a much better additive than Restore. Restore is better for an engine on its death bed as a last resort effort to squeeze a few more miles out of it. It is not a product I would even consider unless I had some major oil burning issues. I would not use MoS2 in an engine that sits for long periods of time not being used. Trav posted some pictures of an oil pan with MoS2 which had fallen out of suspension in one of his cars that sat for long periods of time, that was proof enough for me. JMO

Originally Posted By: Surestick

I thought it was fuel in the oil (dilution), not the other way around. If that's what you meant, fuel dilution of oil, how would this decrease octane level? I bolded your sentence for emphasis.

oil has a very low octane rating of itself.
Right, but its fuel in the oil, not oil in the fueling system. Am i missing something
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
oil has a very low octane rating of itself.
Right, but its fuel in the oil, not oil in the fueling system. Am i missing something
sick.gif

I'm not sure where this fuel in the oil thing is coming from.

Oil being consumed goes somewhere. If it's not leaking it's being burned. If it's being burned it's ending up in the combustion chamber (short of a leaky valve guide on an exhaust valve or bad seals on the hot-side of a turbo). If it's ending up in the combustion chamber it's lowering the engine's resistance to knock.

Also, if the MOS2 is improving ring seal then there's less blow-by and less oil ending up going through the PCV system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back