oil prospects for oil change In my 95 SC300

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok guys, I decided that I might as well use 10-30 year round especially for the 8 out of 12 hot + humid months so if you can, give me some 10w-30 suggestions. My list is PYB 10-30 so far and maybe I should end it there considering the superior FE I am getting by using 1 qt to top off. Could it be the 5w-30 Val full syn and consider if that was 10-30, how much more it could protect!!

Last edited:
First off the SC300 is a great car. The PYB would be fine or Motorcraft 10W30 Syn Blend. The Motorcraft filters are really good too. I have owned 2 SC300's with the 2JZGE engines and I have ran Valvoline Synpower, Valvoline Maxlife, Pennzoil Platinum, Motorcraft Syn Blend, Havoline, Mobil Super, and Mobil 1 High Mileage...all with Pure One, Motorcraft, and K&N filters. A great combo would be the Mobil 1 High Mileage or Mobil Super High Mileage and a Mobil One filter or Motorcraft filter, since the Purolator and K&N filters don't seem to be made as well these days. I never used the oversized filters, seems like they didn't have much clearance on your engine, the 2JZGE. They don't have much clearance for sure on the 2JZGTE or 1JZGTE. I run Royal Purple HPS 10W30 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10W30 in the GTE engines as well. BTW your engine is an inline 6 instead of a V6, just so you know. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: clearanceclarenc
First off the SC300 is a great car. The PYB would be fine or Motorcraft 10W30 Syn Blend. The Motorcraft filters are really good too. I have owned 2 SC300's with the 2JZGE engines and I have ran Valvoline Synpower, Valvoline Maxlife, Pennzoil Platinum, Motorcraft Syn Blend, Havoline, Mobil Super, and Mobil 1 High Mileage...all with Pure One, Motorcraft, and K&N filters. A great combo would be the Mobil 1 High Mileage or Mobil Super High Mileage and a Mobil One filter or Motorcraft filter, since the Purolator and K&N filters don't seem to be made as well these days. I never used the oversized filters, seems like they didn't have much clearance on your engine, the 2JZGE. They don't have much clearance for sure on the 2JZGTE or 1JZGTE. I run Royal Purple HPS 10W30 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10W30 in the GTE engines as well. BTW your engine is an inline 6 instead of a V6, just so you know. Hope this helps. Good luck.

It's interesting you mention the Sc300 is a great car cause it isn't a great oil change unless it is going in a great car.

Your mentioned oils are interesting for these reasons. I used the 5w-30 Motorcraft previous to the current OCI I am on now with the Val 5w-30. In both instances, I should have used 10-30 but like I have mentioned, I was just pointed in the right direction as far as the right viscosity for my region and severe use whereas previously I was relying on the oil cap. I lucked out either way cause the 5w-20 MC I used in my previous DD delivered outstanding FE. This PYB 10-30 I used has delivered excellent FE in only 1 quart of top off use! I was seeing the online coupons at AAP And signed up for RR. It's good to have the right viscosity but it is also nice to know what oil "packs" pack the best punch as far as FE cause as you know, the Sc3 got me no better than 18 mpg and now 19+ and I am just getting started. I plan on using 5 quarts of PYB to see if I can improve on it or status quo but any consistent improvement is icing on the cake esp since I thought I had to go 5w or 0w to get better FE (cause I Was using 5w20 MC on my prev DD and pulling that off) but instead, it's the opposite. That's what getting the right oil viscosity for your climate *and* getting the best add pack can do for you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back