Greetings! Help with Oil Report on 5.0 mustang.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! Was told to come here for help, as i heard there was a lot of good information on this site and help for this sort of thing. I decided to take a oil analysis of my 5.0 1990 Ford mustang. Got the results back today.
http://www.blackstone-labs.net/(1ti04n55x4swyv55de0bgo45)/oilreports.aspx?cid=H23566
Hopefully this link works. Some backround. I used 10w-30 and it was synthetic. First time using a synthetic. Car really isn't driven that hard and had low miles on it. Over the summer the car did have a small pcv valve leak but i found it pretty fast. Before taking this sample the car had probably not started or been run for a little over 3 months. No noises, no oil consumption, car pulls great. Since getting this report i switched back to a motorcraft air filter and ditched the k&n one. I also switched back to dino oil(Valvoline Maxlife Red 10w30) and changed the oil filter to the stock motorcraft one i always use. I also had timing set up more advanced, so i brought it down a little thinking this might help it. Just want to say in advance thanks for any help or suggestions. Looking forward to learning a lot on this board!

ALUMINUM
CHROMIUM
IRON
COPPER
LEAD
TIN
MOLYBDENUM
NICKEL
MANGANESE
SILVER
TITANIUM
POTASSIUM
BORON
SILICON
SODIUM
CALCIUM
MAGNESIUM
PHOSPHORUS
ZINC
BARIUM
Values Should Be*
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F
59-65
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C
9.9-11.9
Flashpoint in °F
>375
Fuel %
Antifreeze %
Water %
Insolubles %
<0.6

Last edited:
Top two numbers are my readings, and the bottom is the average.They included this in the report..
There was quite a bit of aluminum and iron in this sample. Iron is showing lots of steel wear, and aluminum probably shows piston wear. Maybe the silicon is abrasive and it's causing some of this. Check the air filter for leaks or problems. We doubt the oil you're using is related to this, but it's hard to say. Sodium was kind of high, but we're guessing that's just additive from your oil, and that's fine. The viscosity was a little light, but that's not normally a problem If you run this engine hard, some extra metal might be normal, but probably not this much.

Very good the stock gauge reads a little over half way, which i realize their not super accurate as their more of a idiot light but it seems normal in its operation

What year is the Mustang and what was the synthetic 10W-30 used in the test sample ?

My guess is the oil was Mobil 1 10W-30.

I didn't take the best sample either, kind of took it toward the end of the draining instead of the middle. I know this was incorrect but could this throw the reading off? Thanks for the all the help you guys are quick!

What did the VOA show? A UOA is useless without a VOA.

What oil brand was this?

How many miles on the oil?

Where in the US are you located? In a dusty environment?

High dirt ingestion can certainly cause high wear.

Rusting of the cylinder walls after sitting can show an increase in iron levels.

Owing to the other alloying contents, while not really high, you may have a cam problem. What material do they use at the cam bearing saddles?

Not sure where id find VOA on the report don't seem to see it.
The brand was Supertech 10w30
About 1500 on the oil
Im in NY, cars only driven during the summer.
I hear my K&N can put a lot dirt in my motor so i switched it out for the Motorcraft peice.
Like i said i don't know if it could rust that shortly,but the car sat for almost 4 months during the fall to winter.
Im not sure about that with the cam material of the saddles.

A 1990 5.0L Ford V8 is the old school motor. I think I'd be inclined to use a 10W-40 conventional or synthetic blend in that motor. That motor probably needs a tad bit more viscosity for better lubrication.

You used a K&N air filter? Get a VOA of the oil, and another UOA and with a stock air filter instead of the K&N filter. Make sure all connections and plumbing from the air box to the throttle body are nice and tight and not leaking any air. With only 1500 miles on that oil those numbers are not very good.

With only 43,000 miles why the Maxlife, a HM oil . Unless one is having an issue with consumption or a leak a HM oil, IMO, is not needed in any way. Just my opinion. Also, putting on so few miles implies a lot of short trips and your silicon level is a little high for my liking which can add to the iron readings, which are really, really high. I cannot seem to locate how many miles the oil had on it when it was sampled?

Yes it is. The car was very clean and low miles when i got it. I talked to some people and they said that since i took the sample after 4 months and it hadn't ran and also did not drive the car for 20 min prior to taking oil, and in addition took the sample towards the end of the draining that this could have skewed my readings slightly. Not really sure. Just hoping the next one comes back better. Anything else i can do to maybe help it other than changing the air filter? Thanks for all the help you guys are great over here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back