Fat tire bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
A pic of the new beast:

bigfoot01.jpg

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
So my wife and I had an early Christmas present exchange today and she bought me the Norco 6.2, LOL!!
grin.gif

So it looks like I'll be enjoying some fat tire riding this week
thumbsup2.gif

Nice gift! My wife has been enjoying the Pugsley when I'm not using it, so I may look for one for her.

My son has said he can build 29" wheels w/ 'skinny' (2"?) tires for three-season riding. The Pugsley is designed to accommodate 29ers as well as the fatties! But then again, the fatties are great for trails & sand in the summer.

Thanks! Really looking forward to seeing how it compares to all the reviews I've read. If it is half as good as the reviews, then I'm set! LOL!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Number_35
So my wife and I had an early Christmas present exchange today and she bought me the Norco 6.2, LOL!!
grin.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Nice gift! My wife has been enjoying the Pugsley when I'm not using it, so I may look for one for her.

My son has said he can build 29" wheels w/ 'skinny' (2"?) tires for three-season riding. The Pugsley is designed to accommodate 29ers as well as the fatties! But then again, the fatties are great for trails & sand in the summer.

Fat Tire outer diameter with ~4" tires is close to a 29er diameter with 2" tires so pretty much any Fat Tire bike will run 29er setups. You just have to build the wheels with the correct hubs and wheel offset (something that hasn't been totally standardized yet) for your frame.

First trail ride today, thing is freakin' awesome! Drove through a stream, deep mud, took some sandy hills, it was like driving an ATV!

grin.gif

I am a snob when it comes to my bike equipment. However. I looked at the weight difference and component difference between a high end fatty and a Mongoose at WalMart and they are pretty much the same when it comes to performance. For what I would ride one, if I get one, I might start off with one of those aluminum framed Mongooses for $140 single speed or $249 multi speed.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
However. I looked at the weight difference and component difference between a high end fatty and a Mongoose at WalMart and they are pretty much the same when it comes to performance.

? The quality of the components is going to be markedly different, hardly anything close to resembling "the same". The brake and gear shift components on these bikes are going to cost more than the whole bloody Walmart bike, LOL! Obviously the performance of these components is also going to be better. I have some experience with bikes from this price point and while things may look similar, the performance and durability is seriously lacking. Also, regarding weight, the 7spd Mongoose is 45lbs, my Norco is at least 10lbs lighter than that, the 6.1 is 33lbs.

I can understand the desire to keep cost of entry as low as possible when getting into something you aren't sure you are going to like. But I would perhaps look to find a used example with a reputable brand name instead of going the Walmart route. I think you'll be disappointed.

Good point. I thought since I have scads of XTR stuff laying around, I could gussy up an aluminum framed Mongoose. I didn't realize there was that big of a weight difference. For an aluminum frame, that officially makes it a pig.

I can't believe I never spotted this thread before. Fat bikes are my thing!
I was the wheel builder for a shop on Long Island that sold almost exclusively fat bikes. We did a lot of custom builds.
I currently ride a 9Zero7 with 5" tires front and rear on 100mm wide rims. Drivetrain is 2x10.
I ride the bike year round on singletrack, snow, beach sand... I take it to Maine, Florida, anywhere.
Don't waste your fat bike frame by building "only" 29" wheels for the warm weather.
Look at 29+. A 45mm rim like a Velocity Dually or a 50mm like the Surly Rabbit Hole or Sun Ringle Mulefut. 29 x 3" tires like the Surly Knard oe the Bontrager Chupacabra and you transform your sand and snow bike into an all terrain rocket sled.
Last year, a bunch of us got together on LI and snowshoed out a 3 1/2 mile loop and we all rode all winter long.
Fat bikes also don't leave ruts on soft ground like regular mountain bikes so they don't wreck the trails.
My full suspension 29er hardly gets ridden any more.

Every time I walk by the lime green fat tire Iron Horse Bikes at Sears, I have to take another look.

grin.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Hey, a few days ago I picked up a used 2015 Charge Cooker Maxi for my wife - couldn't wait, and told her her Christmas present was early. She's been having a great time with it.

http://olympiacycle.com/2015/12/08/used-2015-charge-cooker-maxi-fatbike/

Check it out before the bike store takes it down.

Took the beast out in the snow today, lots of fun! Great in powder, decent in slush, not great on ice. Also, driving headlong into a foot tall snow drift and expecting to get right through/over.... That didn't happen.

Bit of a learning curve, but being able to drive in the winter with confidence is really nice
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back