0w-20 vs 0w30 for 3mz-Fe v6 toyota solara 3.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the purpose of having such thin grade oils like 0w20? Simply fuel economy? Do they provide better protection compared to that of 0w30 or 0w40?

Im asking for my solara v6 3.3 with 70k miles. Driven 80 miles a day in HOT texas climate. I know most of newer toyotas use 5w20 and 0w20

Faster circulation,less internal drag,sub-percentage better fuel economy,and in some vehicles (Subarus particularly) extra oil consumption......lol

I do agree with your question... What does the manual say. But be nice
smile.gif

You and I tend to agree on things and we do on this. It's all right in my opinion if we have the same discussion again and again and again etc. It's all about people learning and asking questions. Plus a thought provoking debate at times.

OP what does your manual say?? I forget where I saw a graph for Toyotas where the oil viscosities were either back specd or the same as in the manual. Example.. My lady's 98 Camry is still specd for a 5w30. Not a 20 operating viscosity. For other Toyota vehicles especially after 2000 some of them were back specd for a 0w20 or 5w20.

To answer your question audia...as mentioned, hearing what is recommended would help. Many people here are running a heavier oil in their vehicle specified for 20 weight; but I do not recall if anyone is doing it in a Toyota.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I do agree with your question... What does the manual say. But be nice
smile.gif

You and I tend to agree on things and we do on this. It's all right in my opinion if we have the same discussion again and again and again etc. It's all about people learning and asking questions. Plus a thought provoking debate at times.

OP what does your manual say?? I forget where I saw a graph for Toyotas where the oil viscosities were either back specd or the same as in the manual. Example.. My lady's 98 Camry is still specd for a 5w30. Not a 20 operating viscosity. For other Toyota vehicles especially after 2000 some of them were back specd for a 0w20 or 5w20.

Right; though it may be boring for those that have read the previous threads, Old joke + new audience = new joke. OP hasn't seen the previous threads...we were all "new" at one point.

Last edited:
What does the manual say? Well, it depends.

That should be addressed by where you live in the world, how you use the vehicle, any marketing changes that occurred, and if you're still under warranty. The same engine in my car recommended 5w-30 from the factory in 2000. In 2002 it was changed to 5w-20. Same car, same engine. Same everything. Why is the 2000 owner's manual less accurate than a 2002? The same basic engine has been in production since 1991.

If I lived in a hot climate I'd be tempted to go to the next higher grade no matter what I drove. South Texas is hot. What's recommended in Mexico?

Well the EXACT same 3.5 VQ motor in my car HAD been specd for a broad spectrum of oils in the generation prior to mine. A 10w40 could be run in the VQs prior to mine. Then these motors were all specified to run a 5w30 in my generation of VQ. Now the latest generation its a 0w20. It is a moving target obviously. But at the end of the day.... What a manual states is at least a starting point. That's helpful information without question.

Plus the very good questions you brought up too. Which were and are very pertinent in regards to making a good choice.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Well the EXACT same 3.5 VQ motor in my car HAD been specd for a broad spectrum of oils in the generation prior to mine. A 10w40 could be run in the VQs prior to mine. Then these motors were all specified to run a 5w30 in my generation of VQ. Now the latest generation its a 0w20. It is a moving target obviously. But at the end of the day.... What a manual states is at least a starting point. That's helpful information without question.

Plus the very good questions you brought up too. Which were and are very pertinent in regards to making a good choice.

...and if there are no major mechanical changes between the years, it sounds like a CAFE change...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back