Removing hub bearing assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed my Jeep's half shaft making a "thump thump thump" noise around turns Christmas Day and it has been off and on ever since. In order to replace it, the hub bearing assembly needs to come off. I've done the procedure a few other times before, but I used a hammer to remove the bearing; I didn't care what it looked like as long as it was off.

Folks on the web recommend a 3 jaw gear puller, but I worry that would push the half shaft back into the differential as its pulling the hub bearing assembly out and put a lot of stress on the diff carrier, ring gear etc.

Is this still the best way or is my method of thinking off?
Thanks guys and Happy New Year!

On your WJ?

Break the axle nut lose with some weight on the vehicle. Lift it up and remove the bolts holding in the unit bearing. Do some light taps on the hub surface to remove it. If it doesn't come, try putting an extension on one of the bolts and using that against a control arm / shock mount and turn the wheel to press it off.

By the time the puller is set up, I could have a rusty hub bearing out of one of these.

As long as the unit bearing isn't rusted to the knuckle, it'll just pull right off once the bolts and axle nut are removed (if not practically fall off on its own). I wouldn't use a puller on it personally (especially considering it could separate the bearing if done wrong).

When you put it back together, smear some anti-seize on the back of the unit bearing where it sits in the knuckle and it shouldn't ever get stuck again.

Oh she is rusted on there I am sure. Youtube videos show it just falling off...

Maybe a dead blow hammer would be better than an over-sized ball pein.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Dead blow or a sledge. But, remember, if you get too enthusiastic with the hammer ... you'll be replacing a wheel bearing too

Wouldn't your suggested method put a lot of strain on the PS system?

Only time I have had an issue doing that is with the vehicle off. If you do it repeatedly (re positioning, for example), it may get some air in it. With the vehicle on, it makes it easy; much like turning the wheel with the vehicle stationary - there is going to be a lot of force on it anyway.

Meaning the amount of force on the system by using this method isnt much different than the force from simply turning the wheels?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Meaning the amount of force on the system by using this method isnt much different than the force from simply turning the wheels?

In my experience, yes. With the engine running I just turn and it doesn't take a lot to pop the hub out. Even on rusty jeeps.

I used this method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJEL3pUIMSE

Pick up some grade 8 nuts and bolts and thread a bolt through a hole in the hub. Tighten the nut and it will back the hub out. Make sure to do it on opposite sides, otherwise the hub can jam up.

Likewise, a cold chisel can work too. Use the bolt trick to break the bonds then use various size cold chisels to pry her out.

That is a great idea, but sadly the assembly doesnt have the holes in it like the one in the video does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back