Best oil for Porsche 991

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMG

Which oil would be the better choice for a brand new Porsche 991 Carrera S, car that I am planning to keep for ~10 maybe 15 years:

German Castrol 0W-40
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40
(Mobil 1 - factory fill)

All the above have Porsche A40 seal of approval.

I am asking because I am not a Mobil 1 (US variety) fan. This oil made my current daily driver (2009 BMW 335i w/N54 engine) significantly noisier very early in the ownership/ after the first oil change @ 3k miles; then the engine started burning oil, albeit a very small quantity. So I switched quickly to GC 0W-30 and stayed with this oil. I am currently @ 122k miles, the car is used and abused but performs flawlessly, the engine looks very clean on the inside ( I use a 4k miles oil change interval rather than relying on car's computer), doesn't burn a measurable quantity of oil. But the new and improved "made in Belgium" variety, especially the last batch has prompted a slight increase in the car's oil temperature. I am quite sure there is a difference because I had a 3-4 years old batch of GC left that brought the temperature back to the previous values. This made me a little circumspect about the new Castrol 0w-xx formulation.
Any advice and suggestions from the experts on this forum will be greatly appreciated.

I'm using Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic 5w-40 Euro Motor Oil
in my 991. I had great luck so far with it and I get it on Amazon
and a few other local places.
I get it for around $60-$70 for a 12 qt case.
Enjoy your new ride!

Jim

As long as it meets PORSCHE A40, i don't think Porsche cares and you'll be fine with anything meeting that spec.

From the i-manual...
http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/en/2/190/

Engine Oil Recommendation
Porsche recommends
pg_190_mobile_icon.jpg

"The right oil for your vehicle."

pg_190_chart.jpg

1) Generally, you can find details of the manufacturer approvals on the oil containers or as a notice displayed by the retailer.
The current approval status is also available from your Porsche partner.

2) SAE viscosity class - Example: SAE 0W - 40
Specification 0W = Viscosity specification for low temperatures (winter).
Specification 40 = Viscosity specification for high temperatures.

3) For all temperature ranges.

4) For the temperature range over --13 °F (-25 °C).

Always observe the following points:
– Use engine oils approved by Porsche only. This is a precondition for optimum and problem-free operation of your vehicle.
– Regular oil changes are part of servicing.
It is important that the service intervals, particularly the oil change intervals, are observed in accordance with the specifications
in the "Maintenance" booklet.
– Oils approved by Porsche can be mixed with each other.
– Porsche engines are designed so that no oil additives may be used.
– A label is located in the engine compartment, which provides you with information on suitable oil for your engine.

Originally Posted By: RMG
Which oil would be the better choice for a brand new Porsche 991 Carrera S, car that I am planning to keep for ~10 maybe 15 years:

German Castrol 0W-40
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40
(Mobil 1 - factory fill)

All the above have Porsche A40 seal of approval.

I am asking because I am not a Mobil 1 (US variety) fan. This oil made my current daily driver (2009 BMW 335i w/N54 engine) significantly noisier very early in the ownership/ after the first oil change @ 3k miles; then the engine started burning oil, albeit a very small quantity. So I switched quickly to GC 0W-30 and stayed with this oil. I am currently @ 122k miles, the car is used and abused but performs flawlessly, the engine looks very clean on the inside ( I use a 4k miles oil change interval rather than relying on car's computer), doesn't burn a measurable quantity of oil. But the new and improved "made in Belgium" variety, especially the last batch has prompted a slight increase in the car's oil temperature. I am quite sure there is a difference because I had a 3-4 years old batch of GC left that brought the temperature back to the previous values. This made me a little circumspect about the new Castrol 0w-xx formulation.
Any advice and suggestions from the experts on this forum will be greatly appreciated.

Same thing. I used M1 on various occasions, many times, but cold cranking is not on par with GC 0W30 and now GC 0W40.
Move to 0W40, it is same formula, just bit thicker (GC 0W30 was 12.1, GC 0W40 is 13.5). Also, Castrol 0W40 has much lower pour point. I found out in Colorado mountains that it performs much better then M1. M1 in very cold temps remind me of 5W40 oil. Also, same issue like you. I find M1 noisier then GC.
Pennzoil? Until they make it better available, I will pass.

Last edited:
Does the oil you're recommending meet the requirements of the manufacturer? It doesn't say so on the spec sheet, at least not the one I found (although it did appear on an approved oil list):

Kendall GT-1 5W-40

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Enjoy your new ride!

Jim

Originally Posted By: kschachn
The oil you're recommending meets the requirements of the manufacturer? It doesn't say so on the spec sheet, at least not the one I found:

Kendall GT-1 5W-40

Enjoy your new ride!

Jim

It is also Mid-SAPS not Full-SAPS oil. Pour point is high. It is typical HC oil, and not comperable to M1, Castrol GC or Pennzoil PP Euro.

Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic 5w-40 Motor Oil is a premium quality, full-synthetic engine oil designed primarily for use in high-performance European vehicles operating under severe driving or extreme-temperature conditions. Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic 5w-40 Motor Oil also will provide excellent engine protection in normal everyday service. Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic 5w-40 Motor Oil provides enhanced performance benefits compared with conventional engine oils. These benefits include better oxidation resistance and thermal stability at high temperatures for improved protection against viscosity breakdown and deposit formation; lower volatility for reduced oil consumption; and better low-temperature pumpability for easier starting and faster oil circulation at low temperatures. Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic 5w-40 Motor Oil meets or exceeds a wide range of North American and European performance requirements. Full Synthetic Passenger Car SAE 5W-40 Motor Oil meets or exceeds the requirements of: API Service SM, CF, ACEA A3/B3-04, A3/B4-04, BMW Longlife-04 Oil, Mercedes-Benz Sheet 229.51, Porsche A40 (excludes Cayenne V6 for extended drain and Cayenne diesel), and VW 505.01, 505.00, 502.00.

Do you have a link to a ConocoPhillips data sheet that lists A40?

Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic 5w-40 Motor Oil is a premium quality, full-synthetic engine oil designed primarily for use in high-performance European vehicles operating under severe driving or extreme-temperature conditions. Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic 5w-40 Motor Oil also will provide excellent engine protection in normal everyday service. Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic 5w-40 Motor Oil provides enhanced performance benefits compared with conventional engine oils. These benefits include better oxidation resistance and thermal stability at high temperatures for improved protection against viscosity breakdown and deposit formation; lower volatility for reduced oil consumption; and better low-temperature pumpability for easier starting and faster oil circulation at low temperatures. Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic 5w-40 Motor Oil meets or exceeds a wide range of North American and European performance requirements. Full Synthetic Passenger Car SAE 5W-40 Motor Oil meets or exceeds the requirements of: API Service SM, CF, ACEA A3/B3-04, A3/B4-04, BMW Longlife-04 Oil, Mercedes-Benz Sheet 229.51, Porsche A40 (excludes Cayenne V6 for extended drain and Cayenne diesel), and VW 505.01, 505.00, 502.00.

Those specs were from Amazon.
So no I haven't recently looked on their website for those details. However there are several modern Porsche links as you stated confirming it is a A40 approved oil for the car. Listed as such. A quick email to them should confirm this and possibly explain why those specs are omitted from their website if they indeed are. I haven't looked.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Do you have a link to a ConocoPhillips data sheet that lists A40?

Kendall is HC oil. You can call it Full Synthetic, but it is Hydrocracked oil. Lot's of companies tried HC oils because of cost, but in the end they had to improve base like M1 (VISOM), Shell (Pennzoil) using now GTL (their HC oil in previous version had low HTHS for 5W40 oil), Castrol still sticks to PAO for their top of the line products such as 0W40.
And seriously, you are copy/pasting from Amazon?

So no I haven't recently looked on their website for those details. However there are several modern Porsche links as you stated confirming it is a A40 approved oil for the car. Listed as such. A quick email to them should confirm this and possibly explain why those specs are omitted from their website if they indeed are. I haven't looked.

Current web site does not list A40 approval.
Take into consideration also that Amazon says: meets or exceeds requirements! It does NOT say that it is approved!

Unless the approval is listed on the bottle then I wouldn't use it. Even an approved oil list from the automobile manufacturer is pretty worthless, those are out of date the moment they are published.

Since AirgunSavant says he uses it in his Porsche, what does the bottle say?

My Porsche has the same 9A1 engine as yours although it is a generation older. I have always had good luck with both Mobil 1 and Castrol. Both are available in 5 quart jugs at WM in my neck of the woods for approximately the same price and both carry the Porsche A40 approval.

What date is the website your referring too?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Take into consideration also that Amazon says: meets or exceeds requirements! It does NOT say that it is approved!

The man asked me a question.
What are you using in your Porsche, link master?

Who are you talking to?

if it is me, I don't have a Porsche but I use an oil that meets LL-01 in my BMW. It lists LL-01 on both the bottle and the manufacturer's data sheet.

Since you use it, don't you have a bottle in the garage? How about showing us what it says?

I'm talking to the guy that my post lists who I'm responding too.
You have been here since dirt and you don't know how the forum works?
I guess that takes you off my approved list. LOL
smile.gif

PM me your address and I'll send you a full bottle free of charge!

What date is the website your referring too?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Kendall web site I just opened. It says 2015.
PDF available on internet is 03/2014.
But what your bottle says?

I'm talking to the guy that my post lists who I'm responding too.
You have been here since dirt and you don't know how the forum works?
I guess that takes you off my approved list. LOL
smile.gif

PM me your address and I'll send you a full bottle free of charge!

OK, sorry I guess I should learn some more about the response reference.

No I don't want a full bottle free or otherwise, thanks. I just thought maybe you could go look at a bottle you already have since you use it in your Porsche.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back