Please help me read these plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please tell me what you think about these plugs. These are the factory plugs from our 2009 Ridgeline; 101k miles.

23950981631_bdcedc2e62_b.jpg

4,5 and 6 are in a shadow but i don't see any oil. Can you get a better angle on these three?
Are 1,2,3 from one side and 4,5,6 from the other?
If they are and they are slightly darker check the fuel trim on that bank.

Trav, I've mixed them up back in the boxes, now, so I don't know which is which. And to be honest, to my eyes, three don't appear any different from the others. I think it is just the shadow and angle of the light.

Because I think I've heard pinging from this engine, I've been watching a lot of gauges over the past few months. LT fuel trim, on both banks, is always near 0. It seems to be right on the money. Every indication I get is this engine is not pinging, or at least not pinging in a way that's harmful to it, and that it's in a very good state of tune.

I used Denso plugs as replacements. The owner's manual gives both NGK and Denso part numbers. Our MDX had Densos, and I used them here, too. I think it's just a hair smoother, and the pinging noise may not be as pervasive at part throttle, anymore. It could be in my head, too!

I agree that they look good. Better than the ones that came out of my Altima last yr with 103k miles. Yet my car still ran quite well considering. I used Denso plugs on my car too. Like yours my car had either NGK or Denso has replacement plugs.

Look worn but not terrible.

Hard to tell more without a good photo and lighting.

You do not have any issues that I would worry about other than being worn out. Do a search for reading plugs, there is a lot of good information out there. Proper timing and heat range can be learned by looking at the grounding strap and the threads as well.

Last edited:
Thanks all. The plugs were replaced with new Denso SXU22HCR11S plugs. Both those Densos and these NGK ILZKR7B11 plugs are listed in the owner's manual as the correct plugs. I've read musings on the internet from Pilot and Odyssey owners that these very NGK plugs looked pretty rough long before their normal change interval, and the OEM Denso plugs in our MDX looked great at the time, so I bought the Denso option for the Ridgeline.

As it turns out, though, I think the NGK plugs that came out of it look great for their age. To me, they look durn near perfect -- slight tan coloring with no evidence of fouling or anything like that. The gaps hadn't widened, and all of the platinum pads were still there on the ground electrodes.

I have seen the ones that have come out of VCM-2 engines that had poor oil control on the rear bank and they look nothing like these. These look fine to my eyes.
The ones that appear to have some slight deposits on them maybe just lighting or because they were on the cylinders that get deactivated and run a little cooler, that's if it is the VCM engine.
In any case I don't see any issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back