High mileage euro oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about what oil I'd use when my euro cars get higher mileage and if they start leaking. I can't believe there isn't a HM euro oil (at least in the US)! The closest I've seen is M1 HM 10w40 and the new Castrol Edge HM 10w40.

The M1 seems very similar in specs to the 0w40, yet it only carries a A3/B3 approval. No VW 502/505 or A3/B4. It has a TBN > 10 too, so you would think it would meet A3/B4.

The Castrol carries A3/B3 and A3/B4, yet not much else either.

I guess my question is: Why don't they meet these specs, and what would you use if your car started leaking?

M1 HM 10w30 and 10w40 used to meet A3/B4, but sadly XOM has gotten lazy and won't upgrade their lines to the more recent A3/B4 revision, so now it's only A3/B3.

0w40 is the only US-market M1 that still carries the A3/B4 rating.

Just realized I posted to the wrong forum. Guess that's what happens when you watch football and are not paying attention
smile.gif

How can I get this moved?

I've driven a few cars to 250k and I've never used a HM oil. Maintain your cars with the proper oil. IF they develop a leak, fix the leak.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I've driven a few cars to 250k and I've never used a HM oil. Maintain your cars with the proper oil. IF they develop a leak, fix the leak.

Or try a different oil. I was seeing fairly significant usage on my last 3 OCI's using a 5w-20 Shell synthetic. I went to a 5w-20 conventional (VWB, no HM) and the uage was reduced by 80-90%. I was quite surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back