Battery: Replace or Keep going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
'06 Cobalt (parents car) battery is from late 2007 (original battery was replaced under warranty after something like 15 months). Over the holidays I mentioned in passing if we should get a battery for the car, knowing it was a couple of years old but not knowing it was from 2007. Anyway, Dad brought it to Advance Auto this morning to test the battery and was told it was good. Only results he got:

Voltage 12.47V, Measured 553CCA, OE Rated 600CCA.

So, wondering if I should still replace it? Also, what exactly gives the battery a pass or fail rating when a parts store tests them? Is it maintaining a certain voltage or measured CCA versus original rating?

TIA.

I replace battery at 5 years. It might be early, but I can shop for the best deal and replace when it suits my schedule. You are in NY, so potentially you know about the pita of a dead battery when there is a snow storm or super messy conditions.

A worn battery IIRC places added load on the alternator, so overall the early replacement might provide added life to the charging system.

Costco Kirkland's are excellent and have nationwide ease of replacement if needed.

A new battery can be like insurance against a visit from a tow truck and an inconvenient day to say nothing of a possible stop somewhere you might not other wise visit.

If you have a battery maintainer hook it up overnight to fully charge the battery, it may extend the battery life another 2-3 years.

~12.5VDC is way too low if this was measured across the battery with the engine idling.

Batteries do last a long time in NY given we have very few super hot days. Couple this with the fact the battery is in the trunk on the Cobalt = long life. Even so, going on 9yrs? Replace the darn thing.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
What is the voltage supposed to be when the car is off?

Engine off 12.6-12.7 volts, after 2-3 hours.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
What is the voltage supposed to be when the car is off?

Engine off 12.6-12.7 volts, after 2-3 hours.

I wasn't present at when the battery was tested, but my assumption is the car driven to Advance (5 minutes away) and turned off, and then tested.

IIRC (but I could be wrong) the last time I went AAP tested a battery for one of my cars, it was with the car off, and asked if I wanted to charging system tested, which is when they told me to turn the car over.

How would that influence/reflect on the results posted above.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
'06 Cobalt (parents car) battery is from late 2007 (original battery was replaced under warranty after something like 15 months). Over the holidays I mentioned in passing if we should get a battery for the car, knowing it was a couple of years old but not knowing it was from 2007. Anyway, Dad brought it to Advance Auto this morning to test the battery and was told it was good. Only results he got:

Voltage 12.47V, Measured 553CCA, OE Rated 600CCA.

So, wondering if I should still replace it? Also, what exactly gives the battery a pass or fail rating when a parts store tests them? Is it maintaining a certain voltage or measured CCA versus original rating?

TIA.

I believe its a percentage of the rated CCA. Maybe 75%.

Check out the label. Make sure it was a 600CCA.

Some batteries that avoid the high heat of summer, last a long time.

My battery in Northern Ohio is 8 years old. Car starts fine, however I have a fully charged good quality jump box in the trunk. If I am doing a lot of short trips I put a charger on over night once and a while.

Older parents, a new battery may be prudent, however the test results seem pretty good.

I'd charge it and see how it does. My last battery routinely dropped to 12.2-12.3 volts a few days after charging it. I'd give it a charge every 1-2 weeks, especially in winter. It was 3 years old and lasted another 3 years. When it couldn't hold a charge even after 12 hours, it was replaced. Batteries can last 10 years or more in cool environments if they are consistently charged.

I suspect 100 amps would spin over that little Ecotec....honestly, I'd run it.

In perspective, my Vic calls for a 650CCA battery.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I suspect 100 amps would spin over that little Ecotec....honestly, I'd run it.

In perspective, my Vic calls for a 650CCA battery.

Yes my noco genius boost easily starts an ecotech with a battery so dead you can't even get the starter to click.

Also remember voltage isn't the real test for state of charge, you need specific gravity of the electrolyte to determine state of charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back