Dropped a brake pad in a vat of oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was doing a pad swap over the weekend, and I accidentally dropped a brand new brake pad into a drain pan with a mix of oil and brake cleaner - I quickly took it out, doused it in brake cleaner and let the pad sit on a paper towel with the friction side down to draw out any solvent. I then took a MAPP gas torch to the friction material to "burn off" any oil. Is the pad damaged or should I be fine? I'm waiting on new rotors, the steering wheel shimmy during high speed braking is still there but not as bad - the new pads are Toyota TCMC pads made by Akebono, the "old" pads are Chinese Bendix CT-3s.

I'd suspect that the pad material is dense enough to not absorb a ton of oil, but given the "treatments" you did, and how much a pad set costs vs the cost of an error, I'd err on the side of safety and get a new set.

Well the good thing is I bet you won't ever make that mistake again.
smile.gif

The metallic/ceramic pads aren't going to absorb enough oil in a few seconds to make any difference, just a spray with fresh brake cleaner is sufficient... The old asbestos pads could absorb enough oil or brake fluid to never dry out...

Brakes can be kind of important now and then. Also the brakes must be balanced well, especially from side to side. I'd day it's not a good idea to try and save a few dollars by using a compromised pad.

I'll stop by Toyota and get a new set. Better safe than sorry.

Also for rotors, I can get OEM Advics for $65 or Chinese-made Bosch QuietCasts for $50 with a lifetime warranty from O'Reilly. How are Bosch rotors?

No one is going to tell you that it's OK to use pads you know are contaminated.

But it's likely that the pad will perform identically to it's mates, especially after using brake cleaner.

Once installed brake pads are exposed to contaminants all of the time. Gunk splashes up by the roadway, oil leaks from the car they are on, CV joint grease is sprayed, etc. Yet the brake pads keep on working.

Brake pad and clutch material is pretty much the same, and clutches continue to work with rear main seal oil leaks on one side, and transmission leaks on the other, sometimes with a spritz of brake fluid from the clutch. The leaks have to be continuous and bad before the clutch won't grab. If the clutch disk isn't heat damaged from slipping, it can be reused after cleaning.

Just like I mentioned on BITOG postings in the past: you can either listen to BITOG waterhole guys BeeAssh (myself included) or get fresh new pads and do the job.

remember this: the liability ultimately falls on you, so you've been warned.

Q.

Originally Posted By: nthach

Also for rotors, I can get OEM Advics for $65 or Chinese-made Bosch QuietCasts for $50 with a lifetime warranty from O'Reilly. How are Bosch rotors?

My car used to have Bosch rotors on it. They were warped like crazy after about 70,000 mi. I have ACDelco Advantage rotors on it now and they're still great with 55,000 mi on them.

Years ago, I had shoes come apart that had been brake fluid contaminated and washed. Not sure if it is the same material, bonding, etc as the OP's... But I wouldn't use it.

Pretty much every time a question like this is asked, the answer is:

No, don't use/reuse/repair it, Too unsafe, go buy a new one.

Thats the standard one size fits all response here.

If the engine doesn't start/run you can't go anywhere, if the brake fails you can't stop the car.

Your life and your family lives and other lives worth $30-50 ?

Originally Posted By: nthach

PM me and I can get you a really good price, locally, on the OE pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back