PQIA testing, volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the pqia test the actual volume of oil in a container as part of their tesing proceedures? I'd think that state's weights and measures dept would keep most companies honest though. With some oils not meeting standards as labeled, you never know.

Just curious.

That is an interesting thought. Does a quart bottle of oil contain exactly a quart of oil? Or a gallon, and so on.

It's like the story of the efficiency expert hired to look over operations of an olive grower and processor. After lots of examinations of the process the efficiency expert recommended that to preserve profits in this challenging economy just ship the bottles of olives with one less olive.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
It's like the story of the efficiency expert hired to look over operations of an olive grower and processor. After lots of examinations of the process the efficiency expert recommended that to preserve profits in this challenging economy just ship the bottles of olives with one less olive.
Yes; it is akin to the one where a toothpaste manufacturer had fully saturated the market with various brands and could not acquire any more of the market space and still wanted to increase profits. An efficiency expert recommended they increase the size of the hole in the tube so the unsuspecting customer used more toothpaste and had to purchase it more frequently.

Speaking of PQIA,did they ever do a test on Mobil 1 High Mileage oil? I just got through looking all over their sire and didn't see it. I only saw Mobil Super.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
As far as I know, they only sample enough oil to feed the analysis machine.

https://www.agilent.com/cs/library/eseminars/Public/Separate and Identify with GC-FTIR.pdf

Their charter is not to determine oil volume or weight.

Out of curiosity, is that one of the techniques used? Generally FT-IR isn't that useful for determining metal content or really any other parameters that PQIA reports.

BTW, I saw that particular presentation a few years ago as part of a one-day GC seminar put on by Agilent. I'd love to buy one if weren't for the fact that a. I can't make a good argument for why we need one and b. Agilent is on my "not good" list now after buying Varian and then killing off the NMR division(and leaving us with a couple million dollars worth of what is effectively dead end equipment that isn't that old).

You can very readily test the volume claims on your own. You don't exactly need a bunch of fancy equipment or contract a lab to find out how close you are to a litre or quart, at least with some fairly reasonable accuracy and at some sensible temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back