new 2015 gmc sierra 5.3 oil recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 3311
I just looked around for a few minutes and could not find any specs on the oil pump but I'm betting it is a very high volume one in these engines.

Doesn't really say anything about volume:

The oiling system incorporates a new variable-displacement oil pump that enables more efficient oil delivery, based the engine’s operating conditions. Its dual-pressure control enables operation at a very efficient oil pressure at lower rpm, and then delivers higher pressure at higher engine speeds to provide a more robust lubrication.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news....c3-engines.html

Originally Posted By: gonefishing
Originally Posted By: 3311
I just looked around for a few minutes and could not find any specs on the oil pump but I'm betting it is a very high volume one in these engines.

Doesn't really say anything about volume:

The oiling system incorporates a new variable-displacement oil pump that enables more efficient oil delivery, based the engine’s operating conditions. Its dual-pressure control enables operation at a very efficient oil pressure at lower rpm, and then delivers higher pressure at higher engine speeds to provide a more robust lubrication.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news....c3-engines.html

It does exactly this. At idle to mid throttle even up to redline with light throttle it hovers steadily between 38-43 psi. At mid to full throttle it jumps to 60+psi and holds. Very interesting to watch, provided the gauge is accurate

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The only really 'new' tech in these engines is a variable displacement oil pump. All the other hardware except DI is old news.

We all know why 20w is specified, and it works just fine as long as temps are modulated properly...

Looks like a few of us missed this tidbit earlier in the thread....

Or Havoline 10w-30.....
I guess it's a secret few know
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'd run Chevron Supreme 10W-30 in it if it were my truck.
Don't get the ACDelco PF47E. It's got a plastic center tube.

Flame suit on!
laugh.gif

The only really 'new' tech in these engines is a variable displacement oil pump. All the other hardware except DI is old news.

We all know why 20w is specified, and it works just fine as long as temps are modulated properly...

Looks like a few of us missed this tidbit earlier in the thread....

What temp? Oil, water?

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
If you are unable to locate a retailer, then a GF5 Synthetic grade 0W20 oil that meets the dexos1™ specification, such as Mobil 1™ 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy synthetic oil can be used. It meets or exceeds International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) GF-5 requirements.

There it is. What I have contended all along. They cannot, require you only use a dexos1 rated oil, and don't do so. They were more up front in my 2013 Silverado 1500 manual about allowing "equivalent" oils, but have since been a little more coy in my 2015 2500HD manual. First they say only dexos1 is approved, and in the next breath say ILSAC GF-5 is adequate. Gotta love the mentally challenged folks at GM.

But for the 20w vs 30w game, GM still specs 5w30 for the 6.0L gasser. My 2015 2500HD 6.0L, the cap, the manual, everything says use 5w30.

I still don't know why some still have thing "thing" about Dexos labeled oil. There are so many out there and many choices. There is no reason NOT to use it. And the prices are the same. What is the big deal?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back