Grinding near fuel tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently put some wider tires on my zero turn mower. They're a little bit wide and need about 1/4" ground off the tank supports under the fuel tanks. I was hoping I wasn't going to have to do this. I've heard people put a wet rag over the cap. Any advice? Or is there a better way to remove metal without making sparks? It's actually going to be about 4" below the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done a lot of welding and grinding on mowers, some not to far from the gas tanks, and the wet rag trick has always served me well. Not so wet as to drip water into the gas, but wet enough to stop vapors from exiting the vent. And be careful and try to not direct sparks any nearer to the cap than needed. Can put some aluminum foil to use as a spark shield also. Also-KEEP A FIRE EXTINGUISHER HANDY!

Originally Posted By: old1
I have done a lot of welding and grinding on mowers, some not to far from the gas tanks, and the wet rag trick has always served me well. Not so wet as to drip water into the gas, but wet enough to stop vapors from exiting the vent. And be careful and try to not direct sparks any nearer to the cap than needed. Can put some aluminum foil to use as a spark shield also. Also-KEEP A FIRE EXTINGUISHER HANDY!

I have a 90 degree air die grinder with one of those 3M 2" roloc sanding discs. will that work good for grinding? I need to remove about 1/4" second that's like 2" long. I don't think those discs make many sparks compared to a grinder. I've just never used it, so I'm not sure how much metal it takes off. It's about 1/8" think metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
As JHZR2 says, if it is somewhat easy to pull the tank, or better yet, just the bracket that needs grinding, that would be the safest and possibly even the easiest option. Do you have a bench grinder? Or just take off the bracket and take it to, or use, whatever or whomever sharpens your blade on the mower. Although the die grinder may also work, but it will be slow I would think.

As JHZR2 says, if it is somewhat easy to pull the tank, or better yet, just the bracket that needs grinding, that would be the safest and possibly even the easiest option. Do you have a bench grinder? Or just take off the bracket and take it to, or use, whatever or whomever sharpens your blade on the mower. Although the die grinder may also work, but it will be slow I would think.

I suppose I could remove the tanks. Although I'd be worried about fuel left in the lines, since each tank has like 3 fuel lines going to it.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

I suppose I could remove the tanks. Although I'd be worried about fuel left in the lines, since each tank has like 3 fuel lines going to it.

Stick a golf ball tee in each fuel line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back