Buying straight crude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Dont get snarky with me JHZR2. You are completely welcome to not respond if you are just going to spread hate and affliction.

As per the thread topic, I am not looking for some cream or whatever you are a peddling from the pharmacy. I would like unrefined petroleum. It can be from the Middle East, Texas, Pennsylvania, or the Gulf of Mexico or wearever(brake plug) I am not really sure, but it would be neat to get a quart or two from each of the above places to do my own studies of the various geologies from different parts of the planet.

okay, now I get the username. "mjoeking" = am joking, right? Because this thread makes sense; if you are joking.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
440Magnum,

I was wondering if it would be any more dangerous than having 89 Octane in a jerry can or a bottle of used oil.

Yes, it is substantially more hazardous to your health, not just potential long-term carcinogens, but some of those lighter fractions, H2S, S02, and so on are more immediately toxic. And unpleasant.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Yes, it is substantially more hazardous to your health, not just potential long-term carcinogens, but some of those lighter fractions, H2S, S02, and so on are more immediately toxic. And unpleasant.

And full of aromatics too. In a Fuels and Lubricants class I took one of the labs was to do a small scale vacuum distillation of crude and then analyze the various fractions. There's a lot of stuff in crude oil.

I've worked with probably more crude oil than anyone else posting here. I worked custody transfer inspection for marine cargo import / export with emphasis on petroleum products, petrochemicals, and crude oil from 1986 to 1990. Tankers of all sizes from transport semis to barges with up to 4 barges in one tow to oceangoing barges up to about 500,000 barrels capacity to full tank ships up to 850,000 barrels capacity.

Crude composition varies from locartion to location, field to field, and changes over the course of depletion of the reservoir. Some are high in H2S (but I've never seen SO2 in crude except for absorption from the IG (inert gas) blanket in transit). In any case it's a soup, from water white clear condensate to for example BCF11 from Venezuela that almost has the same density as water and has to be kept above around $150°F in transit to keep it pumpable.

I've pulled uncounted gallons of crude oil samples for laboratory analysis (and ran quite a number of the lab tests myself). Never wanted to bring any crude oil samples home. Just goes beyond what most would define as common sense.

Last edited:
Maybe 20 years ago or something, the Chinese had a trade exposition in the SF Bay Area. I had to go set up some equipment for one of the USA booths.

I was fascinated by their Crude Oil booth (South China Sea crude). It ranged from clear yellowish thin fluid that they could run straight into a stationary engine all the way to the thickest black goo you'd ever want to see.

Calif has many sources of crude that come to the surface all the time. The La Brea Tar Pits, the tar balls on the Santa Barbara beaches come to mind. Those tar balls have been bubbling up for ever. The Native Americans used them to water-proof their baskets thousands of years ago, and as trade goods ...

Point being, what sort of crude do you want? Thick sulfurous crude, or nice light sweet crude...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
I've worked with probably more crude oil than anyone else posting here. I worked custody transfer inspection for marine cargo import / export with emphasis on petroleum products, petrochemicals, and crude oil from 1986 to 1990. Tankers of all sizes from transport semis to barges with up to 4 barges in one tow to oceangoing barges up to about 500,000 barrels capacity to full tank ships up to 850,000 barrels capacity.

Crude composition varies from locartion to location, field to field, and changes over the course of depletion of the reservoir. Some are high in H2S (but I've never seen SO2 in crude except for absorption from the IG (inert gas) blanket in transit). In any case it's a soup, from water white clear condensate to for example BCF11 from Venezuela that almost has the same density as water and has to be kept above around $150°F in transit to keep it pumpable.

I've pulled uncounted gallons of crude oil samples for laboratory analysis (and ran quite a number of the lab tests myself). Never wanted to bring any crude oil samples home. Just goes beyond what most would define as common sense.
Venezuela produces a crude LOADED with sulfur.

Just an FYI, my Lister diesel engine will run just fine on 100% straight crude oil.

While I've not done it, many people have over the years. These old diesel engines have no operational issues with straight crude oil as a fuel.

finished_resized.jpg

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Just an FYI, my Lister diesel engine will run just fine on 100% straight crude oil.

While I've not done it, many people have over the years. These old diesel engines have no operational issues with straight crude oil as a fuel.

finished_resized.jpg

That's a beauty. You must have spent a lot of time refurbishing that.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: mmavet
BP paved the Gulf of Mexico with a few million gallons...business as usual in America.
Are you aware of how much crude seeps naturally into the Gulf?

Are you aware of how much methane (natural gas) leaks up from through the crust of the Earth and into the air?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back