Teens and cell phones

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am at my brothers for Christmas Eve with lots of relatives are there. When the families with teens showed, they all plopped themselves down in the living room and proceeded to surf and text all night. At one point, I looked it and there were 6 teens and one adult and 6 out of 7 were on their phones. For most of them I don't think they hard said a word all night. I'm starting to think maybe family get togethers are not even worth it anymore. That or install a jammer I can temporarily use.....lol

Originally Posted By: philipp10
So I am at my brothers for Christmas Eve with lots of relatives are there. When the families with teens showed, they all plopped themselves down in the living room and proceeded to surf and text all night. At one point, I looked it and there were 6 teens and one adult and 6 out of 7 were on their phones. For most of them I don't think they hard said a word all night. I'm starting to think maybe family get togethers are not even worth it anymore. That or install a jammer I can temporarily use.....lol

You need to make the gatherings a cell phone free area...

Our broader family which near 30 folks with four college teens and a sophomore beyond some 20s very intermittent on it. But they are having a blast.

Messaging is how they socialize but agree not appropriate all night. Sounds like [censored] parents.

RBW...

Raised By Wolves ?? Or LOP.. Lack of Parenting?? Phrases my lady and I use at times to describe circumstances like that.

At my family's get together hardly no one even touched a phone. I was impressed and surprised a bit.

I saw a couple of teens with their nose in cell phones at a funeral. I was appalled at how disrespectful this was. My kids were given direct orders to leave theirs in the car.

Originally Posted By: Starman2112
I saw a couple of teens with their nose in cell phones at a funeral. I was appalled at how disrespectful this was. My kids were given direct orders to leave theirs in the car.

Holy cow, that's bad!

Parents have to set limits with this stuff and direct the kids elsewhere. I know my own kids would be on their electronics 24/7 if my wife and I didn't set limits.

This seems to be the normal way for the younger generations. I cant even picture a teen or even a young adult without them holding their phone and either staring at it or checking it every two minutes.

funniest thing I have ever seen is when at a bar, live band and the 20 something girls come in and are glued to their phones all night. Hello...is there anything in there?

Originally Posted By: morepwr
This seems to be the normal way for the younger generations. I cant even picture a teen or even a young adult without them holding their phone and either staring at it or checking it every two minutes.

Think about it for a while.

It's probably detrimental to their development. ADD, ADHD.
Can hardly function in real life anymore.
Speaking skills are degenerating.
Sitting & laying there. Motionless.
Spine & Neck degeneration.

Does anyone care???

9ho28j.jpg

^ At least they're learning & not playing games & not testing pics obsessively...

AND, when they went to bed, they went to bed. Not staring at their dumb-phones for hours longer.

Originally Posted By: Turk
^ At least they're learning & not playing games & not testing pics obsessively...

AND, when they went to bed, they went to bed. Not staring at their dumb-phones for hours longer.

Yep...no comparison. Smart phone use vs. men reading newspapers on a train heading to work....not even close. I don't recall an epidemic of people dying while trying to read a newspaper while driving.

Last edited:
I'm with the Turk. Don't understand the attraction to cell phones and the almost maniacal obsession with checking them every three minutes. I see people come into a restaurant and the first thing all of them do is check the phone. And 99% of exchanges are just picking **** with the chickens. Who needs to know where ever friend and even half-a**ed friend is every two minutes? Who cares? I guess my age is showing. Bah Humbug

This is like the third thread we have going at the moment about this topic. Why is everyone so concerned about what others are doing in a restaurant or out in public? Mind your own business!

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: Turk

Yep...no comparison. Smart phone use vs. men reading newspapers on a train heading to work....not even close. I don't recall an epidemic of people dying while trying to read a newspaper while driving.

Right.

My OWN (adult) Daughter, out of my home & care, doing this all the time...

NOW, she has back & neck degeneration. Adult onset Diabetes. Way overweight.

I warned her for years..... she didn't listen..... now has HUGE medical bills..... lost her job & career..... works in a minimum wage situation. NO money.

All because of this OBSESSION.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
This is like the third thread we have going at the moment about this topic. Why is everyone so concerned about what others are doing in a restaurant or out in public? Mind your own business!

If only I could get you to do the same in this forum...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back