Experience with Hapco Tri-Seal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some input from anyone who has used "Tri-Seal" by Hapco. This product was recommended to me by my mechanic at my last oil change. He said it would slow down my seal leak, which I guess is the rear main seal. The vehicle is a '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0 six cylinder engine. It leaks where the engine meets the trans and drips down onto the exhaust pipe making some smoke, and it stinks when I drive. I have to add at least a quart a week, which for me is 700 miles delivering papers.
The mechanic has no interest in selling me this product. I just happened to notice the empty bottle in the trash while I was waiting and asked him about it. Its only carried in one local store, and is Michigan made. So I don't know if it is sold nationally, and I've only seen one post about it on this site. My local carquest wont have it agagain until January, so I have time to do a little research.

I did a search on your text >"Tri-Seal" by Hapco< with my usual Search Engine and got zero results, so I had to switch to Google and try again. Your post came up 5th on the first results page, but there were more.

https://www.google.ca/#q=%22Tri-Seal%22+by+Hapco

I think I'll just use it, but change the oil filter shortly after. The label said something about "detergent action". I am hoping to communicate with someone who actually used the product.

Their website is down; not sure if it's permanent or they just don't have any actual IT people working for them (contract or salary). If it ever comes back up ... a company like this, could be after the New Year before they are back to work ... I'm told you can eMail them and buy direct.

Are you sure it isnt the valve cover gasket leaking down the back of the engine and making it look like a rear main? My friend has two 4.0s and has done the valve cover gasket on both due to leaking. Its a super easy job too.

It looks like the valve cover gasket was already done, but I'll make sure to take a good look at it while the engine is running. Thank you for your insight. I will be very glad if it turns out to be something so simple. I can probably do that myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back