Vapor canister purge valve keeps failing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Fusion just turned 5 years old this October, and I'll be replacing the evap purge valve for the second time this week. Thing just keeps failing! Evidently Ford uses this same valve on most cars past 2009. The first time it failed, the car would fail to start the first time after fueling up (this is a common symptom of a failing purge valve). However, no CEL was triggered until after the 4th or 5th time it happened. Finally a P0455 code popped up for a 'gross leak, check fuel cap, piping, etc". I replaced the valve with an aftermarket unit and all was well. Just over one year later, I start getting "check fuel inlet" message on the dash, but no code. I clean around the filler neck, per the owner's manual, and the message went away. Now, about a month later, I get a CEL while driving down the road, same code. Sure enough, a quick vacuum test of the valve determines that it has failed again. Oh well, it costs $20 on RA and takes 5 minutes to swap out. Rant over.

If the only purge valve you have used is aftermarket, i would try an oem dealer part. Went through a few egr solenoilds on a ford escape, the mofoc part was the one that lasted.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
If the only purge valve you have used is aftermarket, i would try an oem dealer part. Went through a few egr solenoilds on a ford escape, the mofoc part was the one that lasted.

I have considered this. However, the inverse could also happen, since the original FoMoCo part also failed early
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I blame the poor quality aftermarket part. I bet it was a Dorman.

Lol....I bet it was too or an airtex wells. The standard motor products are actually pretty decent.

The one Standard motor part I bought had the Ford part number ground off. So yeah, I would use them without hesitation.
Don't get me started on Dorman.

So it fails in a way that liquid gas gets down the plumbing and floods the intake when you buy gas? That's clever.
smirk.gif

check the relay controlling the valve. there's likely a diode in there to reduce the induction current from the solenoid. If that's faulty, the induction could kill the solenoid.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
The one Standard motor part I bought had the Ford part number ground off. So yeah, I would use them without hesitation.
Don't get me started on Dorman.

They don't always bother to remove the Ford part number.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
So it fails in a way that liquid gas gets down the plumbing and floods the intake when you buy gas? That's clever.
smirk.gif

No just too much in the way of vapors combined with hot engine and a closed throttle blade make it flood

Yes the ford labeled parts fails on all like cars using this evap purge valve, very very common failure on all fords

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back