Once Bitten Twice Shy Using MOS2 Additives....

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my motor expired on an OCI where I first used an MOS2 additive about 2 years ago, as much as I want to try it again I'm a bit hesitant. The additive was Lubro Moly Mos2 anit-friction engine treatment.

It was my 02 Honda S2000, running Amsoil 5w30 and the recommended amount of MOS2. My motor puked the main bearings just driving down the road for no apparent reason. To this date we can't figure out what caused the event. It has to be lubrication related. It is rare for this motor to lose the main bearings, usually the rod bearings fail first but they seemed to be okay. The oil pan was full of bearing chunks. I replaced the block with a used one as the crank was scored, and the cylinders were scuffed. We replaced all of the bearings, seals, piston rings, and the oil pump with new Honda replacements.

Everything I've seen says that the additive won't block the oil filter, but I can't help but think that maybe it did on my car - I always use the recommended Honda PCX filter. Since I've stayed away from Moly additives I've been running Red Line oil to get my moly fix.

Is there any chance that a moly additive can cause lubrication issues ? I understand that it may have been a coincidence since we did not find the cause of the engine failure, I'd like to try the additive again but I've been in no hurry to do so up to this point in time. Thanks for any replies on this.

While I'm not a fan of the stuff I don't think it would cause that even if it all fell out of suspension. If the car is seasonal I wouldn't run MoS2.
Did you cut open the filter, disintegrated filter media will cause what you describe.

Thanks for the reply Johnny2bad, I was thinking of trying an MOS2 additive again in my current engine based on what I've read in some of the MOS2 posts in this forum. But I am still concerned about the first engine going south on me.

Not really trying to address any specific issue, other than looking for the proverbial fountain of youth, I guess.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
While I'm not a fan of the stuff I don't think it would cause that even if it all fell out of suspension. If the car is seasonal I wouldn't run MoS2.
Did you cut open the filter, disintegrated filter media will cause what you describe.

Thanks for the reply. My car is definitely seasonal, out of action from December through April each year.

I did cut open the oil filter at the time, the filter media looked okay, it did not look like it was disintegrated from what I could tell.

If you need a Moly fix, try LubeGard Biotech. I run it in my Accord. Great stuff.

It's soluble Moly, not colloidal.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
If you need a Moly fix, try LubeGard Biotech. I run it in my Accord. Great stuff.

A much better product IMO.

Originally Posted By: Phishin

Thanks for the reply, I will look into that. Sounds interesting.

That's funny because back in 2009 I tried Lubro Moly MOS2 in my Acura TL with 10,000 miles on the odometer and it also puked a main bearing. The dealership just chalked it up to an anomaly and covered the cost. I never told them about the LM MOS2 because I didn't want to open up a can of worms. Soon after I got rid of the car.

Originally Posted By: deven
That's funny because back in 2009 I tried Lubro Moly MOS2 in my Acura TL with 10,000 miles on the odometer and it also puked a main bearing. The dealership just chalked it up to an anomaly and covered the cost. I never told them about the LM MOS2 because I didn't want to open up a can of worms. Soon after I got rid of the car.

[censored], that doesn't sound too encouraging either. Yeah when my engine died everyone said to check the rod bearings as they always fail first, but my rod bearings were okay, it was the mains that got torn apart, it was quite rare. I think I will stick to running a good oil and not worry about additives right now. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted By: JSRT4

[censored], that doesn't sound too encouraging either. Yeah when my engine died everyone said to check the rod bearings as they always fail first, but my rod bearings were okay, it was the mains that got torn apart, it was quite rare. I think I will stick to running a good oil and not worry about additives right now. Thanks for the info.

Yup they were bewildered as tof how that happened but Honda/Acura was great at covering everything in a timely fashion. I never blamed the MOS2 but after your post maybe I should have. So I thank you too!

I don't see any reason whatsoever to add anything to motor oil. If you want alot of moly,use pyb or Redline.

I really don't understand what makes people to buy those additives.

In your case, you're boned once, and you wanna try it again.

Let me tell you my experience. I have been driving relatively "fast" Hondas since 2008, including 500+ hp rated turbocharged one, with tons of aftermarket parts. I've never used any oil-fuel additive in my life. Guess what - I've never blown a motor in my life as well.

4 cylinder Hondas are really easy on oil. Do you want to get the best results? Just use any xw-30, or xw-40. If you really want to have extra moly, use PYB - $13.88 at my local walmart.

Is there any chance that a moly additive can cause lubrication issues ?

Something you put in the crankcase caused it. Hondas don't usually "puke the main bearings just driving down the road for no apparent reason."

I doubt it was the Amsoil.

Oil starvation for some reason. What main was it?

The size of the moly particles in LiquiMoly MOS2 is sub-micron. They'll pass through your filter unimpeded and the can sit in the hydrodynamic wedge without contacting anything other than oil.
Too small to worry about.

Amsoil has ~150 ppm of Moly.

Curious... How much more are you looking for?

I wouldn't be too quick to blame the LM MoS2, its had widespread used for decades in Europe without any problems At least none that were published or tarnished the companies rep anyway.
The stuff probably did have some benefit back then with the old now long obsolete oils but today it inst necessary.

All these slicker than a used car salesman in a polyester suit additives are more of a feel good thing than anything, some people are addicted to them, they cant/don't believe the oil alone has all that is needed for the engine to function properly.

I'd like to try the additive again but I've been in no hurry to do so up to this point in time. Thanks for any replies on this.

Let me see if I understand. Regular unadulterated motor oil works just fine in your application, but you want to again start dumping additives in with it. Since the regular unadulterated motor oil seems to work exactly as it should and does a great job of protecting your engine, other than lightening your wallet, what is the purpose of dumping in some sort of magic elixir? Chasing some sort of motor oil nirvana? Chest-thumping or bragging rights on BITOG?

I have used Lubro Moly Mos2 anti-friction engine treatment on 10 different engines with nothing but positive results. I have used it on many cars from 25,000-100,000 kms - - -

Just my 2 cents>:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back