Scan tool: which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need a scan tool for basic diagnostics. Not having ever used one and only starting to do minor maintenance work, what points in buying one would be important? Would be useful if the scanner would be as specific as possible for given car, giving live data, how much time left for TPMS etc.

Have a 2005 Cayenne, 2007 911, 2008 Chevy Suburban and 2010 Range Rover. Also have a 1995 Land Rover Defender. Would this be OBD 0?

I have a Launch X431 Easydiag. Worked fine for a year or so, but it just blew up on me and stopped working. My tablet had an OS update and they always seem to update the software every few months so I'm not sure what did it, but I can't get it to work anymore. You can get them on Aliexpress for anywhere from $30-$40.

A basic one would be the BAFX ELM327 and pair that with an app like Torque on Android.

Some people also like the OBDLink MX which is $68 plus shipping. Doesn't kill your battery if you forget and leave it plugged in.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8392155-obdlink-mx-bluetooth-20-off-plus-coupon-code?v=1&src=SiteSearch

There are some decent standalone ones from Autel, some Bluetooth ones for smartphones and laptops. There are some for laptops that include all the manufacturer specific codes and are bi-directional, but these get pricey.

Autozone and AAP will read codes for free.

Remember the codes will tell you the area where the diagnostic failed. It will not tell you what to replace. For example you get a P0442 code for an EVAP leak, there is a leak in EVAP system or the sensor performing the test is defective. That's where a mechanic' skill and knowledgec comes into play.

Harbor Freight tools has a couple of scanners for a good price. I put the 50.00 ones in each of the company vehicles. That way the driver could check the code and call in the problem. A flashing CEL would either get me to come out and fix it or have the vehicle towed. We have a fleet of Fords so I've field installed a lot of COPs. For about 150 they have a scanner that does everything - codes, abs and testing readiness. I have not had the best of luck with the bluetooth units. I have tried OBDLink and torque and have a fail to connect on several vehicles. I prefer the cable connection.

Originally Posted By: ymc226

Unfortunately, I only have Apple computers and phones. IOS and Mac OS X only.

This looks promising:
http://www.obdautodoctor.com

I'm a Mac and OS X guy too but have not tried it out. I may have to as I have a BT OBD2 reader and this software is pretty affordable at $34/49. They do have a trial version too.

Originally Posted By: 03cvpi
Harbor Freight tools has a couple of scanners for a good price.

Why are you guys automatically assuming he's poor as a church mouse ?

He has not one, but TWO Porches, a gas guzzling Suburban, and a Range Rover.

I'm gonna recommend the Snap-on Verus Pro. The best there is.
grin2.gif

I discovered the Apple incompatibility with my ELM327 device after I bought it. I got around this by re-purposing an old Android phone I had sitting in a drawer to just use for this purpose. It was really efficient because then I could just leave the small phone in the glove box and thus it was always there when I wanted it. It was an old Motorola Defy so you can get one of these for like $10 and then you have a dedicated device for it.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Need a scan tool for basic diagnostics.

Key word Basic

Originally Posted By: Oro_O

I discovered the Apple incompatibility with my ELM327 device after I bought it. I got around this by re-purposing an old Android phone I had sitting in a drawer to just use for this purpose. It was really efficient because then I could just leave the small phone in the glove box and thus it was always there when I wanted it. It was an old Motorola Defy so you can get one of these for like $10 and then you have a dedicated device for it.

What was the incompatibility? According to the link for the app I posted it will work with the BT readers with iOS. I've got an ELM327 clone unit and may just test it this weekend with my iPhone. Technically there is nothing preventing this from working as developers are free to create a BT driver for iOS now.

grin2.gif

Actually the best there is would be the OEM unit for each of his vehicles. That way he can apply factory updates to all the various components.

grin2.gif

Snap-On hasn't made a good scan tool since the MT2500 & Solus Pro, I bought one of those disasters they call the Modis, The Verdict was a even bigger pile.... The Versus...I havnt dealt with.

You can buy a Solus Pro (Scanner) & a Vantage Pro (Scope) cheaper & do everything that a Versus will do, Well everything that matters anyway, Needing to check your Facebook on a Scanner is not a NEED....Though the factory wiring diagrams are nice, They are wrong a lot of the time or not available for what your working on.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger

grin2.gif

Snap-On hasn't made a good scan tool since the MT2500 & Solus Pro, I bought one of those disasters they call the Modis, The Verdict was a even bigger pile.... The Versus...I havnt dealt with.

You can buy a Solus Pro (Scanner) & a Vantage Pro (Scope) cheaper & do everything that a Versus will do, Well everything that matters anyway, Needing to check your Facebook on a Scanner is not a NEED....Though the factory wiring diagrams are nice, They are wrong a lot of the time or not available for what your working on.

I agree that the Snap On scan tools aren't the end all/be all of the scan tool world.

I have a Solus Ultra and it's alright, but lacking some info and not always intuitive when it comes to how it's supplementary info is laid out. It's also frozen on me a few times- and the heck of it is, it's led a very gentle, low use life.

Of course between the purchase price, the cost of the OBD 1 adapters and updates, I'm into the thing for a pretty penny and practically married to it. Not sure if I want to cut my losses or try and stay the course.

clinebarger, what scan tool are you using? Local reps are pushing Autel quite a bit....

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I agree that the Snap On scan tools aren't the end all/be all of the scan tool world.

I have a Solus Ultra and it's alright, but lacking some info and not always intuitive when it comes to how it's supplementary info is laid out. It's also frozen on me a few times- and the heck of it is, it's led a very gentle, low use life.

Of course between the purchase price, the cost of the OBD 1 adapters and updates, I'm into the thing for a pretty penny and practically married to it. Not sure if I want to cut my losses or try and stay the course.

clinebarger, what scan tool are you using? Local reps are pushing Autel quite a bit....

At home I have HP-Tuner VCM Suite, GM Tech 2 (Updated to '13), Snap-On MT2500 (Updated to '07), & a Sun LS2000 Oscilloscope, My Tech 2 works on the Toyota Corolla, I just have to input a '10 Pontiac Vibe.

At work we have HP-Tuners VCM Suite, GM Tech 2, MT2500(Graphing), & a Solus Pro. I keep my Snap-On Vantage Pro Oscilloscope at work....Easier to use than the old Sun Scope.

99% of the vehicles at work are Domestic, 80% of those being GM, The Tech 2 covers most of what I do, HP-Tuners covers a lot of Ford & Dodge applications, The Solus Pro covers the rest.

I feel your pain with your Snap-On Scanner, The holes in the software is unacceptable, I know the Solus locks up sometimes, The Modis I had would do that several times a day, The Battery was junk, It didn't "Log" half the info I needed, The oscilloscope was flaky, Sent it in 3 times to be fixed with no luck....I offloaded it for a $3000 dollar loss...To add insult to injury, The Snap-On dealer tried to offer me WAY less than what I got for it on the open market.

I have been looking into Laptop/Windows based software other than HP-Tuners, Laptops will not cope with a shop environment...Even ToughBooks don't last very long, We had are Laptop at work messed up just last week by a Tech that placed it on top of a Magnetic tray, Lost over 2,000 PCM Tune files, We should have backed everything up.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back