how do you figure out what grease is in something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find many times owners manuals don't say what type of grease to use, but they tell you an interval. There is no telling how many times I've probably mixed the wrong grease in with whataver grease is in there. Plus I have a feeling many dealers put in whatever grease they have when they prep the equipment. IE a trailer or whatever. So now by the time I add my grease there is now 3 types of grease in it.

I'm facing this too. Just bought a trailer; nice setup with a zerk fitting; no idea what kind of grease is in there now.

I'm hearing that shear-stable polyurea greases are known as the "O+ donors" of the grease world but I'm still a bit hesitant.

Originally Posted By: richard612
I'm facing this too. Just bought a trailer; nice setup with a zerk fitting; no idea what kind of grease is in there now.

I'm hearing that shear-stable polyurea greases are known as the "O+ donors" of the grease world but I'm still a bit hesitant.

I don't know if it's really as crucial as we bitog people make it out to be. Most don't grease anything at all.

I have run into this issue as well, are the car companies trying to save the ink they use to print the owner's manuals? It's not like they don't have this information on hand.
smirk.gif
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
If you grease enough its not really a problem. Just make sure to use a chassis grease on the chassis, and a bearing grease on bearings... etc

Only way I deviate is using wlg in boat trailers... but there are enough lithium compounds where you can find a good compromise

Originally Posted By: richard612
I checked the mfr docs (Dexter Axle).. Apparently they've standardized on lithium complex for everything. I'm good to go now. :)

I used Pennzoil marine NLGI-2 grease on my dexter axle for my lawn care trailer. Same as the boat trailer. I do believe it's some kind of calcium phosphate based grease if I remember right

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back