F-15 Takes satellite into space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus

I don't expect you to admit you don't know what you're talking about, since your ego won't allow it. Just be a huge "pilot god" to yourself as you look in the mirror. Actually you need to have worked on some of these automatic systems, not just be a trained monkey pulling sticks. I'll bet you comb your hair every 15 minutes.

The Air Force, Navy, airlines, safety experts, etc., all agree with me, not big-headed pilots like you. The future is fast making people like you obsolete. Natural evolution into safer flying.

Originally Posted By: 757guy
You once said that some pilots had big egos. I think you may have identified the wrong profession...
Its true, I generally am skeptical about airline pilots. Ever since a 32-year veteran pilot and his 8-year copilot killed an entire family I knew. Pilot error. Human error. Just facts, very sad facts about over reliance on pilots, some of the biggest jerks on the planet. Also, spin accidents in F/A-18s caused by the Navy pilot lobby made a lot of widows. Other examples are numerous. Their egos and political power is just nauseating.

You're not skeptical, you're just downright nasty.

Sexual assault? Giant egos? Comb my hair every 15 minutes?

Your arguments aren't bolstered by turning this thread into an attack on me. Go back and look at what you're writing. It's not about the issue, it's personal...you hate pilots. You particularly hate pilots that disagree with you.

Personal, ad hominem, whatever you want to call it, I don't see the point in any discussion with such an immature, insecure, and frankly myopic person.

Originally Posted By: 757guy
You once said that some pilots had big egos. I think you may have identified the wrong profession...
Its true, I generally am skeptical about airline pilots. Ever since a 32-year veteran pilot and his 8-year copilot killed an entire family I knew. Pilot error. Human error. Just facts, very sad facts about over reliance on pilots, some of the biggest jerks on the planet. Also, spin accidents in F/A-18s caused by the Navy pilot lobby made a lot of widows. Other examples are numerous. Their egos and political power is just nauseating.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Why do that to yourself? You will have a long and lonely life holding on to a grudge like that.

Please let it go- if only for the reason of really being free to enjoy life as it should be.

No regrets, no grudges...

I wish you well.

757Guy

Nothing "too complex" about the F-15 here. Nonsense. A retrofit can be made that takes an F-15 from takeoff to landing with no human in the loop. Full navigation and flight control, with failure handling as well. Pilots may have the flowing scarf, but computers these days can do it all. The exception may be target identification in an air-to-air environment, although decision makers in AWACS or other command and control centers can ID the threat before firing on it.

Quote:

Quote:
You changed your answer from your silly "airplane is bit too complex". Now you're changing your answer saying it would be hard to retrofit it. It wouldn't be too difficult at all.I don't expect you to admit you don't know what you're talking about, since your ego won't allow it. Just be a huge "pilot god" to yourself as you look in the mirror. Actually you need to have worked on some of these automatic systems, not just be a trained monkey pulling sticks. I'll bet you comb your hair every 15 minutes.

Quote:
I have a clear recognition of the facts. You have a contempt and bias for anything not piloted, because you've been a pilot. More reliance on pilots would result in more fatalities compared to the proper use of automation, including autonomous vehicles.The Air Force, Navy, airlines, safety experts, etc., all agree with me, not big-headed pilots like you. The future is fast making people like you obsolete. Natural evolution into safer flying.Maybe with people like you gone, there will be fewer incidents like the Tailhook Scandal ("The Tailhook scandal was a series of incidents where more than 100 U.S. Navy and United States Marine Corps aviation officers were alleged to have sexually assaulted 83 women and 7 men.")

Hmm...another BITOG thread careening seriously off topic...

While easily enough refuted with facts, I'll refrain as you're a man in serious personal pain...still.

Very sorry for the loss of your close friends. However, eliminating pilots and the profession won't bring your friends back, nor soothe your anger and pain at their loss.

Automation has no answers for relieving human suffering and deep emotional pain.

Yes, well that all went sideways very suddenly, didn't it? Astro did a great job responding to, what appears to me, a person who has a very real & unresolved problem.

However, as a recently deceased senior Marine from Maine who I knew said to a young, obviously suffering, ex-soldier working at a grocery store check-out displaying nasty & churlish behaviour towards people in line ahead of him, "Soldier! There's no excuse for bad behaviour!" The old Colonel appeared to be a diminutive, unassuming old man (& dying of cancer) but I can imagine the command-voice he carried at that moment. The young ex-soldier snapped to attention in spite of himself & very quickly apologised to everybody in the queue. Everybody in the queue hugged the young man & there was much tears.

I can imagine the power of that moment.

Lubricatosaurus: You have been insulting & have displayed rude behaviour to a good man. Be better than that - apologise to a fine man who chose to serve his country as a naval aviator. Do that for yourself as much as for him. You may also want to look inward at your pain & explore it w/ the assistance of a good listener.

John.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
The airborne launch system is simply a way to save money. And, I'm not at all sure it saves that much.

Typically, most of the fuel a rocket uses is burned to get it out of the atmosphere, where it can accelerate to orbital velocity without fighting atmospheric drag all the way. You can save an awful lot of fuel by taking it a fair portion of the way there before it starts the trip. Also, you can then use engines optimized for flight in vacuum, which further reduces the fuel required.

So, yes, it can make a big difference.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Air France 447 was a clear failure of engineering. The autopilot (that would be flying an autonomous aircraft) pitched the airplane up into a stall based on erroneous air data inputs from a poorly engineered sensor.

If I remember correctly, the autopilot saw the erroneous inputs, and handed control back to the pilots... who then pitched up, stalled, and flew the plane into the sea.

If AF447 had been an autonomous aircraft, it could have switched to a straightforward pitch and power program which would have kept it safely in the air until the sensors recovered (AFAIR they had iced up in the storm they were flying through?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back