Detroit Diesel 2 stroke straight weight VS multi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Gang,

Haven't been on in a awhile. Hoping to find some good data on this slightly obscure oil topic.
As some know the old 2 cycle DD's "require" a straight 30 or 40 weight oil. The problem is finding good data with multi-weights that are comparable and meet DD CF-2 specs.

I've found OE DD and Amsoil specs that are a good start. But it's often taken as being biased, as very few oil companies publish tech specs or provide White Paper studies to the public.

Trying to help some people with viable oil options.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w-40
This-it's the only multi weight that has the CF-2 spec. The DD 2 strokes were built to use a straight 40 weight like Delo 100, Rotella T1, or similar-I've never had one, but the "green screamers" like to drink it down pretty good, I've heard, & the multiweight oil even faster than the straight weight.

I have much experience with the old Detriot two stroke models. Use straight 40 wt. Do not use 15w40. You will not be able to keep it filled. When the four stroke series 60s came out ALOT of companies tried to just 15w40 for both. The two Stokes burned through it like crazy. They don't really burn the oil, they slobber it. The Silver 92's were really good and didn't use as much as the early 318 detriots. Gotta run them hard.

Appreciate the input.

Every engine is different. I'm on our 3rd DD 2 stroke. Just put in 8G of Amsoil, so we'll see how it settles in to finally some good oil.

One of my DD's (8V71NA), made it across country in 2 weeks of hard driving and used less than 2 qts in 7G capacity, with Amsoil 15-40. That engine was like new with only a few K on it (and $20K in rebuild receipts). Didn't leak a drop, or seap a bit.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I have much experience with the old Detriot two stroke models. Use straight 40 wt. Do not use 15w40. You will not be able to keep it filled. When the four stroke series 60s came out ALOT of companies tried to just 15w40 for both. The two Stokes burned through it like crazy. They don't really burn the oil, they slobber it. The Silver 92's were really good and didn't use as much as the early 318 detriots. Gotta run them hard.

Have a looK;
http://www.ddcsn.com/cps/rde/xbcr/ddcsn/DDC-SVC-BRO-0001.pdf

For the sake of providing specific, accurate guidance here...

Which engine series (53, 71, 92 or 149)
Operating conditions (ambient/coolant out temperature, etc.)

Originally Posted By: G2Turbo
Appreciate the input.

Every engine is different. I'm on our 3rd DD 2 stroke. Just put in 8G of Amsoil, so we'll see how it settles in to finally some good oil.

One of my DD's (8V71NA), made it across country in 2 weeks of hard driving and used less than 2 qts in 7G capacity, with Amsoil 15-40. That engine was like new with only a few K on it (and $20K in rebuild receipts). Didn't leak a drop, or seap a bit.
Is the amsoil 15w-40 formulated with out viscosity improvers?

Originally Posted By: G2Turbo

Have a looK;
http://www.ddcsn.com/cps/rde/xbcr/ddcsn/DDC-SVC-BRO-0001.pdf
4 cycle engines?

What are the Detroit 2 cycles running in? I haven't seen one for years in any trucks . I used to see many when I drove truck in the 70 and early 80's. The turboed 92 series were really nice engines to drive, quiet and powerful.

That lubricating chart was for the series 50,55 and 60 series engines, They are four strokes. Oil is better now then when two stroke Detroit's were the norm. I know all we used was 40 weight. The last Silver 92 I drove was in a 1980s GMC General. 445 Silver 92.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What are the Detroit 2 cycles running in? I haven't seen one for years in any trucks . I used to see many when I drove truck in the 70 and early 80's. The turboed 92 series were really nice engines to drive, quiet and powerful.

Some very old RVs often have Detroit Diesel 2-strokes in them.

Excellent question, that I am not sure about. The only Amsoil specifically stating no VI's is the 10-30/30wt.

Based on the robust tech specs, am thinking the VI's are not an issue, based on Viscosity cP ratings and HT/HS levels. My long term use of this oil and it's excellent oil pressure in all conditions, seems to help support the extrapolation.

Given the engine series is extremely old, would also think that modern lubes have come a long way in terms of durability of additives.

That lubricating chart was for the series 50,55 and 60 series engines, They are four strokes. Oil is better now then when two stroke Detroit's were the norm. I know all we used was 40 weight. The last Silver 92 I drove was in a 1980s GMC General. 445 Silver 92.

There is specific information regarding the 2 stroke engines in the report. Yes, most long time truckers/drivers have adhered to using straight weight oil....

Originally Posted By: CT8

EPA forced Detroit Diesel to create a new engine series. The stroke engines were fully phased out by the early 90's.

I agree on the series 92. This 450hp Silver pushes a Prevost motorhome with a 5spd auto. Thrilled to be out of a manual trans again; great match for power delivery.

Drive a 318 powered dodge grain wagon. Start it let it stabilize. Slam fingers in doors and hold her to the wood.
The farmer uses bulk 15w-40 during service. I have mystic synblend sae50 I top off with. Seems to run strong a decade or more later.

Harvey

My old lobster boat had a 6V71. It had the room for a rebuilt 2006 DD60-12.7 so I re powered with one. Those old two strokes had twice as many combustion cycles per revolution making it sound like it was revving at a zillion RPM when in fact, it was only around 2000RPM. The newer 60 Series I have in there barely sounds like its turning at the same RPM. I have no leaks, no rattles or any issues with the re power. Maybe a 8V92 is better, but I just don't see the fondness with those old DD 2 strokes. Best of all, I don't need to hunt down straight weight or screw with the injectors.
In defense of the V series, the reason I had to re power was because I threw a rod and cracked a sleeve. I drove the boat from 10 miles west of Erie PA to Marbelhead OH down one cylinder. The crankcase was over filled with diesel and oil, and the oil came out like water. But it took my friends and me home in 6 foot waves. In that sense, it was one tough engine.

Run a bunch on the farm. Straight 30wt is all they get. Chevron in bulk - 55gal drums. It goes in all the farm equipment - trucks, tractors, harvesters, you name it.

The only multi's in use are in the private cars...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back