Gas wars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember those well.
The most competitive one that I remember was on a family vacation going through Oklahoma. Regular was 19.9 cents/gal.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
And that was for ethyl.
If anyone here remembers what that is.
I know a few of you do.
The stuff with lead in it. Tetraethyl lead.

Heck yes I remember those, Houston had them all the time in the 60s, the lowest I ever paid was 9.9 cents for regular.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I was born in the era where "High Test" was the term for premium

I heard it called that while growing up. My grandpa used to tell the guy at the gas station to "put in the best you got" every time he filled up.

I remember the Gas wars 19.9 cents in San Mateo Calif. then I remember one of my friends saying that the gas prices were going up to 50 cents per gallon. I thought he was kidding.

All you guys with that low cost gas.....what was the minimum wage back then, and what was your weekly pay?

I can remember back in NJ, when I was about 16 (1956), I had a P/T job after school and weekends, and was making (I think) about .75 cents an hour.

I was in grade school at the time. My dad was in business and I remember him paying a dollar an hour to an employee with little skill.

I was in high school 1966-1969. Never paid more than 35 cents, usually 29 cents.
Then the climb to 50 cents over the next few years. My oldest brother once said "they" wouldn't stop til it hit 75 cents a gallon. Oh no!

Indeed I do. I also remember gas at 15 cents per gallon, and the station had the old visible pump that held somewhere around 8 gallons. I remember the gas wars, gas shortages of the 70's, and the time period when gas went over $1/gallon and the pumps weren't capable of handling $1/gallon gas, so gas was sold by the half-gallon.

When gas was 50 cents a gallon how much was a dozen egg and a gallon of milk ?

Currently a gallon of gas is $2(national average) and a gallon of milk is more than $3 and similar price for a dozen egg.

Think about it, gas is currently cheaper than milk and egg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back