FRAM HM Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
While at WM 2 days ago I noticed this display around their FRAM HM oil filters. I don't know much about these filters so I can't say if this is a good price deal or not. Are the FRAM HM filters any good?
confused2.gif

2nqb47n.jpg

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Hi,
I am the tech director at FRAM. The HM filter is an offshoot of a product we make for the HD market called TRT filters. (timed release technology). When HD trucks added egr systems, they had real issues with soot and acid formation in the oil, shortening the change interval. We developed custom filters with an internal additive basket for a huge delivery customer (UPS)to help them get back to the normal change intervals. It has been very successful in the HD market. Off course, marketing people thought it would be great for pass cars as well. The additive is made by an internationally known manufacturer of oil additives, it dissolves over 3k miles, keeps acid (PH) levels in balance and maintains corrosion protection in a mileage challenged engine. It is real science, just a matter of "does your vehicle really need it". You did question the efficiency of the HM, it is the same as the EG filter at 95.7%@20 microns.

Last edited:
Last time I saw those they were "rollback" price of $4.22 in Central PA area Wal Mart. Good filter also as just installed on on a 2000 Cavalier of the neighbors with PHM 5w30

I wouldn't use it, especially with M1 EP which already has plenty of additives. The Fram TG is one of the better filters for the price IMO, even for extended drains.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Those filters are fine for a beater..Are you looking for for filters for the charity work you do?

No, not at all.
While I was at WM picking up my meds I rolled into the auto section. I saw these filters on ROLLBACK and was just basically passing it onto the forum board members.
car51 sent me (2) FRAM HM3387A oil filters, along with some Smittys 5W30 semi synthetic oil (Thank You car51
wink.gif
) for an elderly persons Mailibu in my apt. complex.
thumbsup2.gif

I would say they would be fine for a 5k run in a decently clean engine. In a sludges or a vehicle like farmer is cleaning up; go 3k I'd say

How does that price compare to other filters? Would it be cheaper to just get a different filter and use a high mileage oil? I don't see any reason for someone to use that filter on their vehicle, if you feel you need it then you should just use HM oil.

For the price, I'd just buy a Tough Guard. The High Mileage is just an Extra Guard with the time released high mileage additives. It's a cool idea but I just can't see where it's necessary. If I was gonna use one of these, I'd just save some money & use an Extra Guard instead, or spend the same money for a Tough Guard.
grin.gif

I think these would be good for 5,000 mile runs like the Extra Guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back