Dollar General sued over obsolete oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jmaster
^

sometimes i wonder if bitogers would buy SA/SB oil if it were really cheap, say 25c a quart:)

Just change it really often?

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: jmaster
^

sometimes i wonder if bitogers would buy SA/SB oil if it were really cheap, say 25c a quart:)

Just change it really often?

It would be funny except some of these SA oils are priced 1/2 to 1/3 the price of mainline approved oils.

I think people should know better than to shop at Dollar General for motor oil; but then again, your average normal person is pretty dumb.

Suing DG for what?
Every multigrade oil sold under the DG brand is an API SF.
Just how bad is an API SF?
I don't really know.
It's probably a good thing that the cars I drove hundreds of thousands of miles back in the day on an API SF or earlier didn't know either.
I do know that for somebody living in the hood and driving a beater, a full sump of an API SF oil will always beat a sump very low on any current spec oil.
How can you sue a company for offering an honestly labeled product while also offering real-deal current spec oils for those willing and able to bear the price bump?
Yeah, there are better deals on better store brand oils, but you'll find a lot of DGs in the lower income areas of many metros, but you won't find any RKs or other farm and rural living type stores offering them.
Some obsolete oil is always better than no oil any way you look at it and there are far worse products than DG's multigrades on sale at higher prices from outlets that lack the pocket depth to be worthy of a lawsuit.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I never understood why they still sell these oils. How much more would Warren,Shell or exxonmobil charge then to bottle a good oil?

Its not the makers pushing it, its the sellers and the want for more profit. They know most people are not going to read a full bottle and then compare for motor oil. If its on the shelf it should be decent enough for cars made in the last decade or so.
It should have on the front in full font "Not made for cars made..." if they want to keep selling this junk.

I am not a fan of deceptive marketing. The front of the bottle leads one to believe it would work fine in most engines but that is clearly not the case. The supplier knows this is outdated oil with a very narrow scope of applications and use in motors or engines is not one of them.

ScreenHunter_05%20Mar.%2003%2016.15.gif

If there was a law that protects ignorant people, would the ignorant people know about the law?
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I ask again - how many post 1988 vehicles spec 10w anything, let alone SAE30HD?

By definition they are using non-specced oils.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Probably most of them till the early '90s...

Ford was recommending 5W-30 & 10W-30 oils for their 1989 models with 5.0 & 5.8 engines, I know those were same for '88 & '89... 10W-40 was also recommended in 1988... The newer SG oils had been developed so that's what was recommended...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: itguy08

Ford was recommending 5W-30 & 10W-30 oils for their 1989 models with 5.0 & 5.8 engines, I know those were same for '88 & '89... 10W-40 was also recommended in 1988... The newer SG oils had been developed so that's what was recommended...

My 2002 Suburban calls for 5W-30 at all temperatures but allows for 10W-30 above 0F.

You would be surprised how many people don't even know what there owners manual says to put in there car. I once was browsing the motor oil section at Wal Mart and a woman looking for motor oil asked the ancient question of "which way do you go in the (viscosity)numbers for winter grade oil?". I refused to answer the question and ask her if she knows what her owner manual says. When she didn't know, I just said its best to use what the manual says.

I have no problem with them selling the oil, but you can't market it as motor or engine oil, it's really all purpose or general use oil. The DG oil bottle really makes an outlandish claim that it protects your engine.

But it does have the warning on the back saying not to be used in vehicles after ur grandfather's prom date

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TFB1

I remember 5w30 being late 80's to 90's and 5w20 showing up in the 2000s. But I guess I'm wrong.

I'm one to normally pick on the consumer for being clueless, but these discount stores sell so much garbage it isn't funny. Up here, they sell expired pop (yes, I know, pop isn't milk, but they get expired pop essentially for free and then have a nice markup), factory seconds labeled the same as the high end product, other products that were never meant for the North American market in the first place, and so forth.

Consumer awareness is still important. When you need to buy motor oil, know the specifications you require and know what to look for. When you buy toothpaste, be sure that the languages on the tubes are some combination of English, French, and Spanish. If you don't recognize the language, much less the brand, leave it on the shelf. If the Dr. Pepper has an expiry date of a year ago, don't buy it.

My late father used to love these discount stores. Now, he'd never buy a substandard motor oil. But, boy, he used to buy some shoddy garbage that would make a Chinese factory manager blush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back