PUP 5w20, 4,600mi, 2008 Mazda CX-9

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for our 2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring. I changed out the oil a little early because we are busy during the holidays and I wanted to get started on Pennzoil's "Make the Switch" program. This UOA is for PUP 5w20 paired with a RP 20-400 filter. The PUP ran great, no complaints. The previous two UOA's were with RP HPS 5w20. It looks like the lead is still sticking around. Our driving is the same as previously, lots of short trips and stop and go in a hilly area. The only thing that has changed since we started seeing Lead was that I installed a Dimple magnetic drain plug before that OCI, but I don't think that it would change anything. Should we be concerned?

In Australia the same car/engine is spec'd for 5w30 and higher. If the next run on PUP 5w20 still shows lead would it be safe to run PUP 5w30 to see if that helps? Or am I over thinking it?

Thanks in advance!

This is the 3.7 used in the Mustang and several other Ford offerings. I know they had some type of cam or cam bearing issue prior to 2010. That is just a memory fragment though.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
This is the 3.7 used in the Mustang and several other Ford offerings. I know they had some type of cam or cam bearing issue prior to 2010. That is just a memory fragment though.

You're absolutely correct, it's the Ford 3.7L V6 Duratec. I never heard of that. I'll look into it. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Wear metals seem awfully high. I wonder if a 10W30,5W40,10W40 would make any difference?

Wear Metals; copper, lead, and iron? They're all at or below the universal averages.

Supposedly the exact same car and engine, only right side steer, calls for 5w30+ in Australia. Maybe Shannow or SR5 can chime in with their opinions...

I had a 2010 CX9, always used 5w30 in it, no issues to report, however I never had a UOA done. Funnily enough, the oil cap on the Aussie model still has 5w20 printed on the filler cap
smile.gif

You now have data for 5W20 oil. I would give PU 5W30 a try and check again. You have nothing to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back