Toyota 5W20, 4300mi, 60k, 2011 Tundra 5.7L, 3URFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first UOA, and first DIY OC on my 2011 Tundra. I refilled with Castrol Edge 5W20. Previous OCs were done at the dealership where I was told they use Toyota brand oil. They also put the Toyota oil part number on the invoice.

I started doing my own OC because now I have a 120 mile commute, and am looking to extend the OCI.

p1XjCqw.png

Looks very good, but I didn't think TGMO used sodium as an additive. The dealer may be using Valvoline; nothing wrong with that, but one benefit of a DIY oil change is knowing what the heck went into the crankcase.

Yeah, I remember a while back when I first started getting it changed there, they said they used Valvoline. Then around 30k miles ago I asked again, and they said it was the Toyota brand oil now and the part number matches on the invoice. The guy at the part counter also said they used Toyota oil. They very well could have switched back to the Valvoline since then. Either way, I did the recommended OCI, and everything is looking good at this point, so I'm not sweating it.

I used to get it done at the dealer b/c it was $30 including tax and it was right next to work, so I would drop it off and walk next door. The long wait didn't matter so much then, and the convenience was great.
Now my work is much farther, I am putting 2500mi/month on it, the OC price increased to $38, and I don't want to burn 2 hrs of my Saturday at the dealer waiting on an oil change, and then turn around and taking my wife's Camry in. She got 2 free oil changes/year from the dealer b/c it had over 100k on it.

Now I just do both vehicles at my convenience, and know what I am putting in it. I can keep a better eye on the condition of both vehicles by getting under the hood.

Different engine, but my friend ran almost 10K on Mobil 1 EP doing a lot of short trips. With the large sump size and your commute and lack of cold starts and cold cold starts (and end of warranty) 'really' long OCI might be feasible with this engine (15K+)

Last edited:
I've gone with PP 5w20 my last oc in my 5.7 Tundra mostly it's been TGMO. With an 8 qt sump, I'm not hesitant in going 10k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back