Yet another new law for the overregulated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that like the Australian Onion?
crazy2.gif

Quote:
"We hope this is the right way to do it, but if we need to do more we will, if we need to wind it back we will," Mr Gay said.

I find it quite disturbing when politicians make statements like that.

Quote:
...it will be compulsory for adult riders to carry photo identification so they can be identified if they break the road rules or in an emergency situation...

...a penalty of $106 will be introduced from March 2017 – the same as applies to drivers caught without a licence.

So let me get this straight...you need to carry ID so we can cite you if you do something wrong but if you are not carrying ID we are going to cite you for doing something wrong. Makes perfect sense.
crazy.gif

As usual, the actions of the minority means the majority have to suffer. Having seen the way some cyclists dart through traffic, completely flouting the road rules, it was only a matter of time before laws like this were introduced.

Bicycles are vehicles, just not motorized ones. The laws in the US treat bicycles as a class of vehicle--have to respect the same laws. As a cyclist... I wouldn't really want to be "forced" into wearing a helmet nor carrying an ID, but I generally do anyhow.

A while ago I read one state allowed cyclists to treat red lights like blinking red lights (full stop and wait vs stop and go when clear); and stop signs as yield signs. I liked that kind of special rules for bicycles.

But otherwise, we're a vehicle, and if we want to have "rights" on the road, well, gotta play by the rules of the road.

The paper/sight says Sydney Morning Herald, but when I saw the "smh" in the link name I thought of the "smack my head" acronym and wondered if it was a parody site.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Not only fines, but demerits.

Demerits for auto drivers who fail to give proper leeway to cyclists.

True story: one time I out on a back road, and was passed by two (frat boys?) in a Jeep. The passenger hung out the window and questioned my sexuality and race. I found it comical as the driver had been nice enough to all but drive in the ditch on the other side of the road. I guess one cancels the other out.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Are pedestrians next? It appears that they violate the laws as well. They also could be a revenue source.

The major killer of pedestrians in my state is innebriated pedestrians...most recent rule changes gave them right of way

You don't have to identify yourself in Canada ... of course if you're driving you have to produce a Driver's License, but on a bike or walking, nope.

That's not to say the Police can't make your life uncomfortable if you refuse to identify yourself, but there is no related charge available to them if you don't.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Are pedestrians next? It appears that they violate the laws as well. They also could be a revenue source.

The major killer of pedestrians in my state is innebriated pedestrians...most recent rule changes gave them right of way

Did you know that when they compile statistics related to impaired driving, a collision between a drunk pedestrian and a sober driver is compiled as a Drunk Driving related fatality or injury?

Good thing I do all my riding in the woods. Haven't had anyone ask me for I.D. in 25 years of riding singletrack.

Originally Posted By: hatt
People love the boot on their neck. And the more pressure the happier they are.

True...they often happily comply. It's for the good of the collective.

Reminds me of an old movie where the train is stopped, a uniformed man gets on the train.... approaches you with these words: "Zeigen Sie mir Ihre Papiere. Schnell!!"

"We hope this is the right way to do it, but if we need to do more we will, if we need to wind it back we will," Mr Gay said.

I never take my wallet/ID bike riding. Don't need it.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Reminds me of an old movie where the train is stopped, a uniformed man gets on the train.... approaches you with these words: "Zeigen Sie mir Ihre Papiere. Schnell!!"

reminded me of this:

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: andrewg

reminded me of this:

Ha ha ha...yep...exactly.

It seems that some people don't have too many real problems these days and just like to trow a fit at anything.

What's wrong in carrying an ID and providing it if required by LEOs?

Over here is mandatory for all persons 14 yo and older to carry an ID card the second you left the house.

If you get in an accident or anything like that it's so much easier in ER for the doctors to swipe your ID and pull your medical record in a second than just treat you like a John Doe and run tests on you for hours in order to determine stuff like blood type, if you are HIV positive, allergic reactions and so on.

Not to mention I would like to have my family know ASAP that I'm laing more dead than alive on a surgery table...

Originally Posted By: Andy636
Over here is mandatory for all persons 14 yo and older to carry an ID card the second you left the house.

True, you guys are more familiar, and therefore comfortable with "papers please" conditions.

And Australia is heading down that path with closures of highways for a week at a time to check papers, blow in the bag, drug tests, and sniffer dogs.

Just because you tolerate it doesn't make it right to make it law.

If I want to carry ID, to let my loved ones know I got hit by a bus I can.

If I want to ride to the end of the street to get a litre of milk, I don't want a $108 fine for taking change instead of a filing cabinet of "papers"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back