BMW and Mercedes Accused of Diesel Emission Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
MORE people "driving around campus gassing people". But NOT refraining from driving, oh no, just "demanding" the car be fixed. The true "environmentalist".

I've been saying this from day 1 that I wouldn't be surprised if VW was not the only company doing this. But let's wait for some more reliable sources of this emission testing. I'm not sure how trustworthy the DUH testing is.

36.gif

And our own government agencies never saw any of this monkey business going on? It's a good thing that others with the know-how are here to help them out.

and on the VW front...

VW demand steady despite scandal

http://www.dw.com/en/vw-demand-steady-despite-scandal/a-18919416

The ACEA's data appears to fly in the face of the doomsday scenarios prophesized by some analysts. Several experts had predicted the downfall of the iconic carmaker after it was revealed in September that the company had rigged the engines of some 11 million vehicles worldwide to pass pollution tests.
But Tuesday's report suggests Volkswagen may emerge from the scandal with little more than a dent in its image, which the executives in Wolfsburg, Germany, have set out to repair by launching a massive PR campaign that ranges from creating more transparency to rolling out a major recall beginning next month.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
And our own government agencies never saw any of this monkey business going on? It's a good thing that others with the know-how are here to help them out.

The clue was that they were meeting the emission standards without blue def fluid. Many people felt that was difficult to impossible to do. Our gov could have said, hmmm no blue def fluid needed, lets look closer.

The EPA certainly looks inept in this whole fiasco.

One would think this miracle engine would have at least piqued their curiosity.

You have to wonder what it is they do with all the money they get. Maybe there is a lot more about EPA we still don't know.

Originally Posted By: Win

You have to wonder what it is they do with all the money they get. Maybe there is a lot more about EPA we still don't know.

They do not even have enough money to test weather cars get their rated gas mileage, why do you think they could test every engine for emissions?

They are not inept due to lack of skill or knowledge, but due to design as many in congress do not want the EPA to be strong or even exist.

Our Government DID see this, they were trying to convince VW to a voluntary recall, VW refused....

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

Our Government DID see this, they were trying to convince VW to a voluntary recall, VW refused....

They only "saw" the problem after repeated attempts to tell them what was going on. They were late to the party. If not warned by outside sources they may have never noticed.

Quote:
"The measurement results show that the cars behave differently on the test dynamometer than when they are driven on the road,"

To me that says a lot more about the design of the test rather than the design of the car. It's not the manufacturer's fault that the official tests do not adequately simulate whatever road test DUH came up with.

Capitalism and competition dictates that the emissions standards are to be met at minimum cost, same with crash standards. No engineer gets brownie points for exceeding the scope of the task at hand.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Did anyone think for one minute that VW was the only company doing these things?

I was darn near lynched for suggesting that anyone other than VW would ever do such a thing in the timeline of mankind, past, present, and future.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Did anyone think for one minute that VW was the only company doing these things?

I was darn near lynched for suggesting that anyone other than VW would ever do such a thing in the timeline of mankind, past, present, and future.
wink.gif

...and i'm sure it's not just "zeee Germans".

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Originally Posted By: Win

They do not even have enough money to test weather cars get their rated gas mileage, why do you think they could test every engine for emissions?

They are not inept due to lack of skill or knowledge, but due to design as many in congress do not want the EPA to be strong or even exist.
Yeah, sure. "Congress" could have done anything they wished a few years ago when ONE party had all the marbles -- house, senate, the White House and what did THEY do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back