Yamaha Roadliner/ Stratoliner 1900 v twin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running full synthetic in my 08 roadliner since 4K miles. Did the 600 mile service with Yamalube which is a blend, but synthetic since then with no problems. Couple guys on the Facebook group for these bikes are scaring everyone about synthetic in these particular engines. Saying it causes problems with the lifters and valves among other things. This just doesn't make any sense to me. I would think an air cooled big v twin would be an excellent application for full synthetic oil. Am I wrong? Does anyone have any experience with these bikes? The other guys are saying it's basically a ticking time bomb since I'm using syn.

I've been told that amsoil is too slick for wet clutch. If it's a ticking tome bomb, you have slowed the timer by using syn
wink.gif

I think you have to talk a specific oil Brand and grade, not just "syn" in general. What brands dont the uninformed like?

Synthetic can be many things, some MUCH better than the low-end, unbiquitous, cheap vanilla, cracked, Hydroisomerized group III with its poor lubricity and poor traction and metal wetting (non polarity). Even Fuji used to poo poo low grade synthetic in their boxers saying that the oil " ...does not resolve small motions in the valve train ... " This "memo" purportedly went out to Subaru service managers but never as a overarching policy; Big OIL'll come an getcha, ya know
smile.gif

Last edited:
Seems so many people that run top quality syn oil get long lives out of their engines as well as those that use top quality "conventional oil get the same long lives out of their engines. Most people that are smart enough to run syn oils are smart enough to service their engines at proper intervals.The people that run "conventional " oils and are smart enough to service their engines at proper intervals see long engine life as well.

They just say any synthetic in these engines causes all kinds of problems like damage to the slipper clutch and a bunch of other stuff like ruining the valves and lifters. Just doesn't make any sense to me. Mine doesn't have a slipper clutch but apparently the newer ones do. I have used t6 5w40 for the last 8k miles and see no difference in performance compared to the motorcycle specific synthetic I was using before that. Bikes was spec'ed for 20w40 but I believe they say 20w50 is the new spec.

Kawasaki Concour 14 has one of the best slipper clutches going, the valve system is also high end. Kawasaki syn oil is made by Motul and is the recommended oil. No problem...

Yamaha oil is made by CITGO, what syn base does CITGO use in there oil ?

The Facebook group is scaring people about syn oil, IMO the real scary part is people go to Facebook and listen to the oil experts.

That's what's funny. I said it was misinformation and they teamed up on me haha said it was like talking to a wall. I guess they are the oil experts. I'm not speaking up in that group again. Last time the subject came up and the anti-synthetic nonsense came up, I shared a link to BITOG. I assume nobody bothered clicking.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
That's what's funny. I said it was misinformation and they teamed up on me haha said it was like talking to a wall. I guess they are the oil experts. I'm not speaking up in that group again. Last time the subject came up and the anti-synthetic nonsense came up, I shared a link to BITOG. I assume nobody bothered clicking.

I wasn't picking on you but the one's who take Facebook experts words. The same stuff happens at Kawasaki forums, guys saying syn oil is so slick your clutch won't work and your motor will leak oil, and the best one is once you use syn oil you can't go back to reg oil...haha.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Seems so many people that run top quality syn oil get long lives out of their engines as well as those that use top quality "conventional oil get the same long lives out of their engines. Most people that are smart enough to run syn oils are smart enough to service their engines at proper intervals.The people that run "conventional " oils and are smart enough to service their engines at proper intervals see long engine life as well.

Well said, very

This is the first time I've heard about people NOT recommending synthetic oil for a bike. I don't believe it will hurt any part of the motor or drive train, may not make a difference that you can measure, but it won't hurt it. As long as there's oil squirting on a valve and lifter, how will using synthetic oil hurt it? I've never been a fan of bikes that run the motor oil thru the transmission. Just doing that has got to shear the oil down a grade or two faster, then if they were separate. It seems what your doing is working for your application. So I would keep doing it unless a UOA says not to.,,,,

Your Roadliner has twin gear driven cams, Hydraulic lifters, pushrods that actuate forked rockers that operate two valves (its a 4 valve head). I can't think of any reason why that system would have problems with synthetic oil. I had a Roadstar Warrior for 10 years, It used the little brother to your engine, a 1700 (102 CI). No issues with running synthetic oil with several excursions to the redline. Based on my experience, friends that have them, 10 years on forums specific to these bikes, your engine is stout, run whatever oil weight is recommended, you'll probably never wear it out. In my opinion Yamaha builds the best large displacement air cooled Metric V-Twin out there, but that's just me.

If anyone wants to know, I called the factory customer assistance line and asked about the oil situation. They said as long as it satisfies the spec stated in the manual, it will perform without any issues. Conventional, blend, or synthetic. Doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back