on 8500+ OCI ! topped off only .4 oz of fresh oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bad news, just found out I have been embarked "far too long" on an over 8500 miles OCI. I didn't think I drove that many miles. "What had happened was", the sticker that tell you the mileage you should come back for an oil change typically found affixed on the top left of your winshield had rubbed off. I called in to my mechanic cause I got the oil change done with my main mechanic and he told me the mileage was at and it was at 138,591 miles. I currently have 147,400 so if you do the math, I am on an over 8500 mile OCI!! The oil used was Valvoline full syn 5w-30 and I topped off with Pennzoil YB 10-30. I kinda get the gut feeling the oil is spent due to increased engine chatter too. Will change soon. Did the topping off with PYB 10-30 save me?!

Last edited:
You've gone about 13,700km on a good quality synthetic oil - I'd say you're ok. And 4 ounces of top off oil made no difference whatsoever.

While Valvoline SynPower is not generally known as an extended drain oil, 8500 miles is not an extended drain either especially since many OEMs are using 10K for an OCI these days.

I would be willing to bet you the price of a UOA that it can be ran another 4K with zero issues.

You should be fine. You have been using a good name brand synthetic oil.

A while a go it was typical to change the oil every 6,000 mi / 10,000 km.
Now days, my car's owners manual says to change the oil every 9,300 mi / 15,000 km.

At 8,500 miles, you should be fine.

I guess I don't see your point. I do 6 month oil changes with conventional oil, and have gone 8,500 miles or more on an oil change in the past with no issues whatsoever. I also would never worry about adding oil if it needed a mere 4 ounces or so.

Probably nothing to worry about....Please do a UOA and share the results!!

Did an 1/8th of a quart of PYB "save" you? Are you for real?

edit: just because you went longer than some seemingly random value placed on a sticker doesn't mean your engine is going to explode. Drive on and worry about something else.

Last edited:
Just to digress... I read the thread title as .4 oz not 4 oz. My first thought was how does anyone actually measure less than 1/2 oz that they top off with? I knew I was probably taking the thread title too literally. But it did draw me in to find out what was going on.

8500 miles on any full synthetic is no big deal IMO, especially if you're keeping it topped off. (as everybody should) Mobil 1 ran some Impala V6s 25,000 miles with no ill effects - and they were purposely left a quart low.

I say, off with his head!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Topped off with 0.4 oz of fresh oil. Why did you bother?

to make up what he rubbed off the dipstick onto the rag.

Why would you top off the oil with 4 oz.? between the low and full marks on the dip stick is safe.

Originally Posted By: 06VtecV6
Did the topping off with PYB 10-30 save me?!

The increase in additives only adding .4oz(you mean 4 oz right?), won't make any difference... I rarely add till the level is at least to the add mark... Last change in my '07 Grand Marquis was at 11,030 miles, wasn't low enough to add more than maybe 4oz...

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Big61... Why did you run those impala v6's for 25,000 miles with one quart low???

Won't cause any harm, I've done same(though admittedly with ¼ of those miles)...

LOL

No, a few ounces of Pennzoil didn't "save you." Valvoline SynPower probably held up PERFECTLY FINE. SynPower is a 10,000 mile oil IMO. Keep track of your mileage & be more aware of your vehicle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back