Mystik Semi Syn 15/50 SM/CJ4 - 2014 Road King

Status
Not open for further replies.
1,996 miles on the oil, this was a fresh fill, never tested before. Took a sample as I just changed it a week ago. The Mystik is a Semi Syn, Blackstone refers to it as a synthetic.
Blackstone also got the copper remark wrong, they thought on the last test it was increasing only to realize it was the same oil with 1,500 more miles on it.(that remark has nothing to do with the current test.)
Safe to say I am happy with the report, oil has met my expectations. I did notice a blip in the "Tin" not sure if that means anything from one test.
I notice on this test a little bit of a low flash point and I wonder to myself if that had anything to do with the fact that the oil was not as hot as I was expecting it to be when I took the sample. I thought I ran the bike long enough on a 20 mile trip, yet the oil was only warm when I changed it. Normally I get it scalding hot. Last tests on a different fill flash was higher.

Last edited:
Lets try this time ...
x_223355.jpg

That's one heck of an additive package. Loaded with all the goodies. Skip an oil treatment and just add a quart of this!

doug,
i normally dont comment on harleys but you need some help understand the stoners so i will chime in.

a flash of 375 says 1 of 2 things:
1) horrible oil
or
2) there is fuel in the oil

period

in this case (and 99.9999% of the time) it will be fuel.
the stoners cant even understand their on sample analsys. it is sad. so very sad.

yes tin, nickel, lead, manganese and barium all NON zero.
shocking no stoner silver in there.
usually an indication of scatter at these low levels.
all of the real numbers look good.
you can run this oil for more miles
steve

Originally Posted By: sunruh

1) horrible oil
or

period

I believe I recall this bike is running resistors (XiED) in the O2 sensors, so it could well be fuel - no?

doug,
i normally dont comment on harleys but you need some help understand the stoners so i will chime in.

1) horrible oil
or

period

the stoners cant even understand their on sample analsys. it is sad. so very sad.

yes tin, nickel, lead, manganese and barium all NON zero.
shocking no stoner silver in there.
usually an indication of scatter at these low levels.
all of the real numbers look good.
you can run this oil for more miles
steve

Thanks for your response and input Steve.
No doubt whatsoever that if the flash point Blackstone is reporting is correct, it is do to fuel.

I know this simply because the flash point of this exact same oil, from the same 2 gallon container, always measured at 420ish. There is a VOA posted of the same oil from the same container in the VOA section and also the same oil from the same container is in my report from the previous 2 UOAs.

So you are correct, fuel, and I know that is simply because (for the first time) when I was taking the sample and changing the oil at the same time, I noticed it was not anywhere near operating temperature, when I take samples I always make sure the oil is up to full temperature. But it was a cooler day, I did ride the bike approx. 20 miles but I knew when I was holding that container, I thought to myself, [censored], it was only slightly warmer then warm, not hot by anymeans and thought to myself, fuel is going to show up, granted through, the UOA doesnt show it, yet, same oil, same container 1 VOA and 2 previous UOAs showed a much high flashpoint then the last.
I also shake the 2 gallon container VERY well before filling the crankcase.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

I believe I recall this bike is running resistors (XiED) in the O2 sensors, so it could well be fuel - no?

Yes I am running XIEDs/resistors on the O2 sensors but the fuel, to me is simply not taking an oil sample when the oil was up to full operating temperature.

The O2 sensors on the newer Harleys are narrow band sensors. At best, the engines ECM can only be tricked into is a AFR of 14/1, stock is 14.6/1 so I am somewhere in-between 14.6 and 14. which is far from rich.

Also exactly why I chose the XIEDs in the first place, I just wanted a small adjustment to the AFR without playing around or messing up the engine using a more robust controller, love the way the bike runs, this was more of a heat management mod in addition to the CAT removal. I have checked the plugs in the past and they were still white to VERY light brown if I remember correctly but it was the reason to pull the plugs and check.

The nice thing about the XIEDs, if I ever change my mind, all I need to do is unplug them, I was tempted to do that, just to see if I noticed any difference in heat but I kind of know there is a SLIGHT reduction together with the CAT removal, also a VERY slight off the throttle, low end response improvement. I do believe if I remove them I would be disappointed and end up putting them back on.

Last edited:
doug,
that is one of the things that gets me about the stoners.
data shows a low flash value of 375 and yet they then believe their own fuel reading of horsehockey!!! you simply cannot have that low of a flash with no fuel.
the only time i trust their fuel is when it is up and the flash is low like this.

i once took 2 uoa's at the same time from my bike. 1 went to the stoners and 1 to southwest institute. looking at the results i wondered if i had received someone elses report they varied so much. sent several more to swi. the numbers always matched.

steve

Last edited:
Thanks again for your response Steve. I certainly understand what you are saying. I am curious to know if you know of any labs that are more reliable. I just went to Southwest (empire /cat) site doesnt look like they are interested in single mail in stuff?
Anyway, any lab suggestions?

doug,
please take with a grain of salt, but....
i have come to the realization that uoa's simply dont matter.

WHAT?

yep.

consider this: what does the uoa really tell us?
susvis, fuel, flash, wear metals and ......?

now susvis and flash are both greatly affected by fuel.
does fuel affect wear? at 2% or less there might be a phd awarded if you can prove it. big if.
the wear metals can be as low as 50 yet have broken parts (seen pics on here of it). or show metals that dont even exist in my motor (silver, barium, manganese ... to name 3 that show up in my reports).

so what does that leave us?
paying $25 for a test if there is fuel in the oil?
and i have to interpret the data myself. wow what a bargin. NOT!

wet sump bikes are more picky than the non.

in the end...any oil you get today is way better than what was around 30 years ago...even if its castrol gtx (yuck!).
let the left foot be the judge on oci's for wetsumps and 5k for non-wetsumps and RIDE ON!!!

i have come to the realization that uoa's simply dont matter.

WHAT?

yep.

I'll take it a step further...

Pretty much none of it matters...

Pick a reputable brand something that is pretty close to what the manufacturer recommends or carries their approval (if applicable) and change it at something close to a reasonable interval and things will be just fine.

$25.00 (or actually $28.00) UOA's are a novelty... not real data.

What most are paying for is a test on an oil that is already in the oil drain pan to be discarded. If that same exact oil isn't used, or the bike is ridden differently in a different environment,mostly highway vs slow around town stop and go, more tract days or off road use, you can expect different results on the next test. Anyway you want to look at it if there's a problem brewing, the cost to repair it will be the same.,,

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Thanks again for your response Steve. I certainly understand what you are saying. I am curious to know if you know of any labs that are more reliable. I just went to Southwest (empire /cat) site doesnt look like they are interested in single mail in stuff?
Anyway, any lab suggestions?

I ran across this one that looked interesting- St. Louis-based Engineered Lubricants

http://www.englube.com/LabFacility/AvailableTesting.aspx

EL has one of the most advanced testing laboratories in the United States, offering its customers extensive physical and analytical testing capabilities.

Price list:
http://www.englube.com/Portals/0/Fee Schedule 080115.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back