Shell Helix Ultra 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up some special Christmas deals.
Shell Helix Ultra 5w40

VW 502/505 approved (for my Skoda 2.0l)
PSA approved also (for my Peugeot 1.6l 16v)
VI 168
13.10 Viscosity @ 100c

10 litres for 33 GBP.

This will be a better quality oil for my Skoda Octavia 2.0l petrol than the current Triple QX 5w40 I am using I assume.

How does it compare to Total Quartz energy I wonder.

Hi Brit33,
I too recently pick up some Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 at a very good price. I have yet to run it, so no real life feedback from me at this stage. Not that I can tell that much anyway, as most good oils seem to work fine.

I like this oil because it's the cheapest, full synthetic, name brand oil that I can get which is rated MB 229.5 as well as SN, A3/B4, BMW LL-01, Porsche A40, etc. It's also uses the new gas to liquid (GTL) base stock, that I am interested in trying. A very pure, highly refined, group 3+ base.

I can get this oil at a great price from a distributor, so it may become my go-to oil.

Do you have a good PDS data sheet for it?
Do you know it's HTHS?

Originally Posted By: SR5
Hi Brit33,
I too recently pick up some Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 at a very good price. I have yet to run it, so no real life feedback from me at this stage. Not that I can tell that much anyway, as most good oils seem to work fine.

I like this oil because it's the cheapest, full synthetic, name brand oil that I can get which is rated MB 229.5 as well as SN, A3/B4, BMW LL-01, Porsche A40, etc. It's also uses the new gas to liquid (GTL) base stock, that I am interested in trying. A very pure, highly refined, group 3+ base.

I can get this oil at a great price from a distributor, so it may become my go-to oil.

Do you know it's HTHS?

Good to hear.
HTHS according to these specs are 3.68

5w40 Shell Helix Ultra

comparison between different Ultra weights

Most likely do an OC summer 2016. My skoda does a lot of very short daily trips. Gets dirty in winter especially.

Last edited:
Thanks mate, we only get the 5W-40 Ultra here, but the others look interesting.

HTHS of 3.68 sounds fine to me for what I want it for.

Yeah, my car is only 6 months into it's OCI, so we will both be changing our oil at about the same time. I may pull the pin on it early though, I only have a semi-synthetic in there right now. Nothing special, and keen to give the GTL Ultra a try.

BTW I think the Shell Ultra is high quality stuff, very similar to the American Pennzoil platinum ultra that is well respected there.

Hi Brit33,

Do you know it's HTHS?

I'm currently running it in the vt, the thing loves it. Only problem I've come across is it seems to cool the oil quicker than the motor when you have stopped for a period of time. If you leave it for a certain time it has a tiny tick tick tick to it, never does it at first start just when it's been running and left to sit for a while.

But it's running like a champ on it.

I did a VOA of the 0W-40 Pennzoil Euro, which is nearly the same stuff.
Only difference of the 0W-40 and 5W-40 is the viscosity, add pack is the same.

I think this oil is bottled under different brand names, Shell Helix, Pennzoil Ultra Euro, Valvoline Synpower Euro, Quaker State Euro...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3955433#Post3955433

I also noticed the temperature swings, I went from plus / minus 2 to plus / minus 8...
(183-187 to 177-193)

Last edited:
Thanks for the information.
Appears I got a very good deal then. 3 times cheaper than Castrol Edge.

Might be worth trying in my Peugeot engine too.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
This oil did a great job cleaning the varnish in my Colt, should have taken before/after pictures!

What do you think about trying it in our Peugeot engines? (next OCI)

The selection of Ultra oils is a bit overwhelming.
I see the AF 5w30 on sale also. Are these just Car makers specific oils? (ford e.g)

Last edited:
It is on the "thin" side for a grade 40, should be good for yur car
smile.gif

It is also one of the cheapest "synthetic" quality oil available here, often on sale on supermarkets. It is my "go-to" oil when I do an oil change for someone.

Edit: the 5W30 are too expensive here,never tried it. Many specifics, Renault, Ford, etc. Difficult to choose!
Only the 5W40 and "above" are cheap.

Last edited:
It's a good oil indeed.
Also approved by Ferrari.
It can be bought on special dirt cheap at K-Mart form time to time.

Originally Posted By: Ducman
It's a good oil indeed.

smile.gif

I think if it's approved by Ferrari it should be ok in my PSA engine

It'll certainly do for now as my good car is still under warranty.

To save some serious money I buy it on special and supply it to the dealer when the service is due.
Better than being seriously gouged on the oil price at time of service by the most expensive/only dealer in town.
They get it in by the 200 litre drum full so their buy price has to be cheaper than the big chain stores where I buy it from.
I hate to be ripped right off if I can help it.

Shouldn't you be asleep?

Last edited:
It's a good oil indeed.

Yep great oil, one of the few Ferrari approved oils. As well as Merc Benz, BMW, Renault, VW and Porsche.

When I called it "cheap" before, I was not saying low quality (it's a very high quality oil), I was saying it's priced well and affordable. For me, buying the similar M1 product, would cost me 3 x more. Not worth it, when high quality Ultra is easy to find. Some great sale prices too.

I like how it's a light 40 weight. From memory M1 0W-40 has a HTHS of 3.8, and Edge 5W-30 A3/B4 a HTHS of about 3.6, so the Ultra 5W-40 at about 3.7 splits the difference nicely. I would use it in 5W-30, 0W-40 and 5W-40 applications.

It's a good oil indeed.

Yep great oil, one of the few Ferrari approved oils. As well as Merc Benz, BMW, Renault, VW and Porsche.

When I called it "cheap" before, I was not saying low quality (it's a very high quality oil), I was saying it's priced well and affordable. For me, buying the similar M1 product, would cost me 3 x more. Not worth it, when high quality Ultra is easy to find. Some great sale prices too.

I like how it's a light 40 weight. From memory M1 0W-40 has a HTHS of 3.8, and Edge 5W-30 A3/B4 a HTHS of about 3.6, so the Ultra 5W-40 at about 3.7 splits the difference nicely. I would use it in 5W-30, 0W-40 and 5W-40 applications.

Sounds like the best choice for both my cars after reading the posts here and looking at the specs vs prices.
Eurocarparts always seem to have it on offer a few times a year.

Still got a couple litres of Quartz energy 0w30 left so probably use that for my next OCI (early) then swap over to Ultra 5w40.

Some times i wonder why i bother finding a 10w30 acea a3/b3 when the 5w40 helix ultra is cheaper on sale.
i have used the helix ultra numerous times and find my engine always clean and the oil never gets sludgy even at 10000km

I just checked FleaPay (my go-to for oil... Gotta love livin' in the stix). 10L would come to about $136, about the same as the M1 listed in extraordinary quantities.
Had a quick Google and that seems to be the going price. Would be nice for it to go on sale at some point... Penrite HPR5 at Supercheap about $120 for 10L

The Rotella 5w40 - which is imported, sells for about $100 for 2 Gallons (roughly 8 quarts).

M1 is out of the question for my car - the 0w40 makes it tick more (and VANOS-rattle more) than an old Grandfather clock.
If the Rotella 5w40 was anything to go by, then this Shell stuff should be a halfway decent product.

Originally Posted By: Brit33
Just picked up some special Christmas deals.
Shell Helix Ultra 5w40

VW 502/505 approved (for my Skoda 2.0l)
PSA approved also (for my Peugeot 1.6l 16v)
VI 168
13.10 Viscosity @ 100c

10 litres for 33 GBP.

This will be a better quality oil for my Skoda Octavia 2.0l petrol than the current Triple QX 5w40 I am using I assume.

How does it compare to Total Quartz energy I wonder.

Shell Helix Ultra will be in ballpark of M1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40 when it comes to quality.
It has really good pour point for 5W oil as well as flash point. As far as I heard, HTHS should be around 3.88.
Anyway, it is more then good for Skoda 2.0.

Great that we can pick it up so cheaply here, same as the cheapest fully synth Triple QX.

2 x 5 litre jugs with shipping included for less than 34 GBP. (53 USD more or less). Mine has arrived today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back