Pentosin FFL3 Porsche DCT Fluid / BMW MTF-LT-5 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
This is a VOA for Pentosin FFL 3.

This lube was discussed in a thread here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3589392/DCT_Fluid_in_an_MT?__AKA_is_Pe

With all the details and confirmation that it is appropriate for use as MTL-5 in my BMW 135i. Some time, maybe in the spring or over the winter if mild, I plan to do an MT and diff lube change-out, now that Im closing in on 15k.

I was somewhat surprised that P was there but not Zn. Not sure what to make of the result.

61ED5551-6713-446A-BECF-79E60541B9B9_zpsg3lhq1su.jpg

VOA_Pentosin_FFL3_b_zpsiiyxea1m.jpg

Other than the wet clutch friction modifier, what is so special about this $30/quart fluid? Nationalistic pride? Must use our monopolistic home team supplier for your vehicle always or else?

Can't use a cross-reference list for GL ratings.

One can cool and strengthen a transmission for any target fluid, so the 'euro high power' means nothing to me.

And, if you don't have the PDK 'wet clutch'? Why bother?!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
...I was somewhat surprised that P was there but not Zn. Not sure what to make of the result.

Many formulators are now using an active phosphate ester product which has excellent anti-wear performance with a powerful anti-oxidant.

It also provides rust and corrosion protection. It possesses good solubility and stability in a wide range of lubricant base stocks.

There is no reason to use ZDDP, an anti-wear/antioxidant, when one can use this single multi-functional additive.

Depending on the dosage levels, this phosphate ester can used as a GL-5 EP additive in differential lubes, or as an anti-wear additive for GL-4 MTF's.

Testing of this ester in various base oils has passed many FZG gear tests.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Other than the wet clutch friction modifier, what is so special about this $30/quart fluid? Nationalistic pride? Must use our monopolistic home team supplier for your vehicle always or else?

One can cool and strengthen a transmission for any target fluid, so the 'euro high power' means nothing to me.

Because this is the fluid specified by ZF to be suitable for BMW MTL-5, which is correct for my 135i. And I paid much less than $30.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

I agree.

Quote:
Do you have suspicion that a lube meant for high powered Euro vehicles with DCTs would be an inferior product?

Noticed that question went unanswered in favor of natonalistic pride.
shocked2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back