Renault F1 deal complete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yawn, most boring racing series in the world right now. Oh wait, there's Formula E. F1 is the 2nd most boring. Oh well, dominance by one brand and horrible sounding engines can make even a die hard fan like me lose interest. I love IndyCar though - that's some fantastic racing.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Oh well, dominance by one brand and horrible sounding engines can make even a die hard fan like me lose interest.

I agree with you there. Those turbocharged engines could put an insomniac to sleep.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Oh well, dominance by one brand and horrible sounding engines can make even a die hard fan like me lose interest.

I agree with you there. Those turbocharged engines could put an insomniac to sleep.

I have been watching a bit of older F1 races from the late 90's on dailymotion, and its almost comical now how high those engines revved. I like the new motors for their torque which has led to a few mistakes. Hopefully Renault can find a way to match Ferrari atleast for next year.

I would like a series that would be just the opposite of F1. Give the teams a restricter plate calibrated at about 600 hp and a minimum weight. Use any engine, any displacement, no turbo/super chargers, gasoline only, any chassis configuration, no electronic driver aids, no movable aerodynamic devices and just go racing.

There would hardly ever be a lap without passing, race planning would be all over the place and the cars would be unique and driver skills would make the day and the race.

This would eliminate the parades around the track and allow the individual teams to show what they can do instead of how well they behave. No longer would we hear that so and so gained a one tenth of a second per lap because they lowered the rear ride height a half a milometer and reduced the tire pressure on the front tires by 0.1 bar as recommended by the computer read out that gave them the margin for victory.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I would like a series that would be just the opposite of F1. Give the teams a restricter plate calibrated at about 600 hp and a minimum weight. Use any engine, any displacement, no turbo/super chargers, gasoline only, any chassis configuration, no electronic driver aids, no movable aerodynamic devices and just go racing.

There would hardly ever be a lap without passing, race planning would be all over the place and the cars would be unique and driver skills would make the day and the race.

This would eliminate the parades around the track and allow the individual teams to show what they can do instead of how well they behave. No longer would we hear that so and so gained a one tenth of a second per lap because they lowered the rear ride height a half a milometer and reduced the tire pressure on the front tires by 0.1 bar as recommended by the computer read out that gave them the margin for victory.

Sounds good, but what about penalties? I think Alonso should get at least a 1 spot advantage over Raikkonen because he is carrying more hair. You have to compensate to get the weight right, and it wouldn't be fair to force him to get a haircut.

Daytona Prototypes are pretty close to that. Multiple engine combinations, a few different chassis manufacturers, Balance of Power adjustments. They recently added flappy paddle gearboxes. The Ganassi cars use an Ecoboost V6, but the most common powerplant is the LSx in the Corvette bodies. Even with the Corvette bodies there are different chassis underneath.

Oh wait, there's Formula E.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending upon one's point of view, it seems manufacturers are beginning to jump on board, including Jaguar. They pointed out that running a Formula E team costs less than one tenth of what even the most shoestring budget F1 team spends.

1. I am happy for Renault, I really hope they do well.

2. I enjoy Formula E. It is something different and pushing the whole electric car thing. The changing cars on pit stops is kinda hokey, but it spices things up a bit. I remember when the first race happened and a few other drivers were joking on Twitter that you probably shouldn't have to wear a firesuit to drive a Formula E car.

Formula E is dangerous: it puts people to sleep on their couches, and then they fall off and hit their heads on the coffee table.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Formula E is dangerous: it puts people to sleep on their couches, and then they fall off and hit their heads on the coffee table.

The first race had some goofy DJ playing techno, I guess the kids call it now EDM, in the background. If I had been at that race, there would have been a lot of cut speaker cables.

I don't mind quiet cars in certain series. I think the current crop of hybrid LMP1 cars are absolutely amazing. The quietness of the Audis, even the V12 R10 TDI, are stunning pieces of engineering. I am currently reading Making it FASTER by Dan Binks and there is a whole section on the Audi Le Mans TDI cars.

If I want to watch electric cars, just down the street is a dirt R/C track. They race every Saturday and Sunday and admission is free. That will keep you interested, not put you to sleep like F-E.

Originally Posted By: billt460

Sounds good, but what about penalties? I think Alonso should get at least a 1 spot advantage over Raikkonen because he is carrying more hair. You have to compensate to get the weight right, and it wouldn't be fair to force him to get a haircut.

How would you account a penalty for Hamilton's earrings?

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
How would you account a penalty for Hamilton's earrings?

Force him to mount them on the front wing, the way Jaguar did with a diamond from DeBeers some years back, showing off at Monaco. Christian Klien then proceeded to wreck the car by driving it into the Armco, and promptly lost the diamond.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/48914/1/jaguar-one-of-our-diamonds-is-missing.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back