Info on Ford 2015 5.0 V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went 5.0 V8 and didn't choose any of the Eco options when I purchased my 15 F150. I'm very please with it so far but have found it difficult to find out about the engine online. Not sure if I'm looking in the wrong places or if there just isn't much out yet.

Anyone point me in the right direction? I see there are 2 sets of chains on each bay; I see cam position sensors; etc... but I'd like to know more.

Trying to remember - does this have a non-hydraulic variable cam/valve timing? That would help with oil grade choice for those here who may want to "throw out the book"

Last edited:
Yeah the 5.0 is a good engine, I personally prefer the V8 over the ecoboost. I am biased coming from a farm where the trucks are worked hard and from towing.

The 5.0 would by my first choice. I just think it will end up lasting longer if you keep the truck for decades.

What?!! My '11 Eco FX4 is at 91k now and going along nicely. I realize that 91k is not very high mileage but when these things first came out many speculated they wouldn't make 50k.
It did take a battery yesterday ( I'm sure that's because its turbocharged ha ha) and as a part of the power train relearning I pounded the living daylights out of it for an hour here in Arizona mountainous terrain. And I'm talking about pounding it going up grades of 2-6 degrees according the vehicle display. Elevations of 5000-6000 ft affect this engine very little.
Happy.

I drove them both last year and the 5.0 was a sweetheart, pulled hard and ran well. But the egobooster was much faster off the line and pulled harder, too. Amazing power.

But it made very weird noises, and i didn't want all that complexity present in either engine...

Thanks for the links. Good reads.

For what it's worth, I'm very pleased with the 5.0 thus far. Drivetrain is very smooth in city and highway. 6 hour trips have been very comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back