I went and did it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Virtually every single review I've read and Youtube video I've seen highlighting what others have experienced driving the new MX5 have come away highly impressed with the car. The manual shifting was superb, the cars balance, the light weight, the torque and power band...all mentioned you simply can't buy a more enjoyable car for what the MX5 costs. About the only negative I could find was that the new steering was slightly numb compared to the previous model. Something to do with electrical assist or something.

It's lighter than the previous model and lower/shorter as well. The horsepower dropped about 12 horses. I saw a time trial, road slalom comparison from the last model vs. the new one. The 2016 was quicker and handled better by far....and the older model was a great car! So I'm sure I'll be very satisfied with it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
If I were to go for a BMW, it would probably be Z4, but I think I'm done with BMW. They've lost a lot of their fun-to-drive factor in recent years.

I agree, my next car needs to be a coupe or sedan(so I can run at BMW CCA HPDEs)- or else I'd have a new MX5 on order. As it is, I'm buying a 425+ bhp RWD coupe- I want to enjoy one before the green weenies and safety nazis ban them...

Originally Posted By: andrewg
. . . The dealer said they only get about three per month from Mazda and they are basically sold as soon as they hit the lot. I ordered a 2016 Mazda MX5 in Meteor Gray with Tan leather interior. 6 Speed manual....of course.

Gray over tan is a very elegant color combo. . . .

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Very nice. Hopefully you get it quickly!

Thanks man! I sure hope so.

You'd think Mazda would speed up to sell more of them.....but the wait won't kill me (well, almost).

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
. . . The dealer said they only get about three per month from Mazda and they are basically sold as soon as they hit the lot. I ordered a 2016 Mazda MX5 in Meteor Gray with Tan leather interior. 6 Speed manual....of course.

Gray over tan is a very elegant color combo. . . .

Yes...I think so as well. The black and tan was super sharp and classy....but being that I've had a few black vehicles in my life, I'm getting older now and don't need the excessive attention that black paint requires to keep it looking great. My Ridgeline is black...and I love it's color...but if you wash the car wrong just once or brush up against it when it's dirty, it will get scratches on it that can easily be seen in the sunlight. It really is a pain.

Yep...gray will be easier and the tan gives a nice accent color without being too obnoxious.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Very nice. Hopefully you get it quickly!

Thanks man! I sure hope so.

You'd think Mazda would speed up to sell more of them.....but the wait won't kill me (well, almost).

No, you don't want Mazda to speed up production line because the quality would suffered. You like they go slow to keep quality up.

Great looking car. Saw a couple on some dealer lots but nothing on the road yet. Keep us posted.
smile.gif

UPDATE:

I had wanted a Gray MX5 with the tan interior when I first placed the order. After about five weeks of waiting and getting cold feet...I canceled my order and got my deposit back. I had just thought that maybe at my age and situation in life, I perhaps shouldn't purchase another car.

Well......feeling like a dummy for canceling that order weeks ago, I decided (just out of curiosity) to go look at a new MX5 at a different dealership. I had yet to see one on the road, which surprises me as I drive a good stretch of major interstate every day. The salesman showed me a black one they had. I was BLOWN AWAY at how beautiful that car was in person. The photos don't do it justice. It was a black on black sport model (I originally wanted the Grand Touring). My girlfriend was with me and she was also taken back at how attractive the car was. The dealer asked me what I was looking for. I told him I DID want gray...but after seeing black I wondered if he had a black with tan leather to look at. He said they just sold one!!! I was not expecting to feel disappointed since I just wanted to see one....but I was. I instantly regretted canceling my order from before and just felt awful...especially after seeing this car up close.
Surprise.....my girlfriend said..."Why don't you ask if they have any available at another dealership they can trade and just buy one?"
That was ALL I needed to hear!! The dealer spent some time on his computer and came back and told me that one black/tan MX5 6spd manual is about to arrive in port on December 24th and that he could reserve it for me!!!
Of course I gave him a deposit and told him that I wanted it.

So now...I don't know how long a car takes to arrive at a dealership when a ship arrives at our local port (Seattle/Tacoma). I am hoping no more than a couple of weeks.

Does anybody know out there??

Last edited:
So now...I don't know how long a car takes to arrive at a dealership when a ship arrives at our local port (Seattle/Tacoma). I am hoping no more than a couple of weeks.

The holidays may throw a little bit of a wrench in the works, but I'd be shocked if it takes more than 2 weeks, particularly if they were able to tag it as a "sold unit". (and assuming the ship is on time... if you can get the name of the ship, you can probably find a way to track it on line...)

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

The holidays may throw a little bit of a wrench in the works, but I'd be shocked if it takes more than 2 weeks, particularly if they were able to tag it as a "sold unit". (and assuming the ship is on time... if you can get the name of the ship, you can probably find a way to track it on line...)

Yes, I kind of assumed that the crew of the ship and the dock workers will probably do nothing to unload on the 24th or Christmas day. So I figured that will add a couple of days to the normal time it would take.
I'll see if I can get the name. I can check the port schedules and see what car carrier ships are due on the 24th.

Thanks for the input.

Yes...thank you.

Every now and then a car maker does the extraordinary. From all accounts they've produced another Miata that is pure driving enjoyment coupled with a truly beautiful body design.

I'm very excited to get it.

DAOgLG.jpg

OK....here it is. I had my girlfriend take a quick shot of it in the dealers garage before I drove it home yesterday.

It's really an eye-catcher. I'll try and take some much better photos today when I take it for a spin.

I think something isn't right, may be the way the picture was taken, the front end looks higher than the rear, looks like the car is park on an incline and the front end is pointing upward.

I think the new Miata has the best styling, much better than previous generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back