When to replace a refrigerator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone we have been considering replacing our refrigerator . Not in a huge rush to do so but its on our mind. The refrigerator we have is from 1997 it still works fine though. However its main flaws are it has the metal handle for the refrigerator door and the handle will come loose and it'll fall off, this has happened several times. Also the lower cover below the door the little plastic cover comes off randomly. Other than that it works good. But with those two flaws and the age factor should I start shopping for a replacement? On one side I hate replacing things that aren't broke however I'd hate to find out it quit one day and the food got ruined. What's your opinions on this? Are you proactive or do you wait till it quits? Thanks everyone!

What you described as being flaws are purely cosmetic. If you have the know-how you can repair those things.

On the mechanical side, if it isn't exhibiting any symptoms already (poor temp control, icing, etc.) I would say it's reliable and worth keeping in the long term. You can get an idea of possible failure by searching for your model # in Google, and seeing if this model is showing up as failure prone. Given it's age, it may not come up in Google, and if so, that's a good thing.

I have a deep freezer from the 1940's that is still plugging along. It might be worth some money by now, but it still keeps my food frozen so I don't touch it.

If the little cosmetic annoyances you don't feel comfortable fixing, or would be too expensive to repair, you have to weight that against the cost of replacement.

But there is nothing in a refrigerator that will cause it to just up and quit, no more than a new one could.

Refrigerators are one of those things that get more energy efficient as the years go by. You should get yourself one that has an energy star rating. It will probably save you enough in electricity over a few years to pay for itself. I always get them at lowes, you can do a google search for lowes coupon code generator and use a 10% off coupon to bring the price down more.

"...I always get them at lowes, you can do a google search for lowes coupon code generator and use a 10% off coupon to bring the price down more."

I have been trying to find a code for Lowes 10% discount online. None of the suggested codes work. Do you have a site that has a reliable code? And yes, I have replaced the "XXX" characters with numerous random numbers as directed without any success. They just keep showing as an invalid code.

Last edited:
Gorilla glue on the door handle. Can't imagine that the bottom plastic grill would be a big deal. Its not even necessary.

As mentioned look at the energy ratings. Decide if its worth buying a new one.

Our 1996 fridge is 6.5 full load amps for a full size side by side. It draws around 2.7 amps. I doubt that the new ones are under 2 amp draw. It probably won't pay for itself to buy a new one.

Assuming a new fridge costs you $800...the difference in cost over a year (8 hrs/day..12 cents/KWA) woulld be 27 years to break even.

The most important thing is to clean the coils and area around the compressor thoroughly every year.

There comes a point when it makes financial sense to replace an outdated appliance, even if it is still working. A 1997 vintage refrigerator, especially if it was a low or medium quality unit to begin with, is probably getting to the end of its expected lifespan. In that case, rather than come home to several hundred dollars worth of spoiled food and being forced to replace it in a rush, it would be wise to research and make a purchase at your leisure.

You should also find out if your local utility company offers any rebates or will pick up the old appliance and pay you for it. For example, when we replaced our "garage" refrigerator last year our local utility picked up the old one and sent us a check for $100. When we purchased the new garage refrigerator I factored that into the price, as well as the increased energy efficiency. With those taken into consideration, given the age of the old refrigerator, I expect the new garage refrigerator to pay for itself in about 4 years.

I did the same thing when I replaced the 40+ year old working freezer-4 or 5 years ago now. While the old freezer was still working, the difference in energy efficiency will pay for it in another year or two when the utility rebate was factored in.

Look into reversing the hinges and handles. There'll be little plastic pop-outs that cover the hardware. If you can stand it opening the other way, that is.

Good luck finding anything nearly as good as your 1997 fridge. We have a LG from 2008 and its had constant problems. My hesitation in replacing it has been reviews of ones currently on the market are not any better. Hesitant to spend $1k on another POS.

I replaced our 2002 Kenmore last summer. Only because the compressor went out. If yours still works I don't think it would pay to replace it. I would wait for a complete failure. Ours gave warning over about a week as it the temps gradually rose inside.

Replacing a working unit for the sake of "efficiency" is nonsense and never saves money.

Refrigeration costs are minuscule compared to the cost of other electricity hogs. Probably less than $5/mo. Or $60/year. You'd take at least 10 years to recoup any energy "savings" from that new appliance!

It's like the "tankless water heaters save $$ nonsense". During the summer our NG bill is ~ $20 and we have a gas dryer, stove, grill, and tank water heater. Even if it cut that bill in half it would still take 100 years to break even on the additional $1k in costs for the tankless unit.

Put a thermometer in the refrigerator. When it gets warm get a new one. Food will stay "good" in a refrigerator for a while as long as you don't keep opening the door. And even then it may be good for a while after that if it gets warm.

Just because it's new doesn't mean it won't fail. New things fail all the time!

My financial perspective it makes no sense to change your fridge out. Find the handle(used appliance place) and carry on.

It makes more sense when its warming or making nutty noises you can't fix yourself peeking on the internet.

If you have the cash in hand and want new fridge go for it.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Replacing a working unit for the sake of "efficiency" is nonsense and never saves money.

You have to do the math, we could've got a free 25 cuft 1970's freezer from my parents, but a new one would pay for itself in only 5 or 6 years in the energy savings.

With the cosmetics issues, sounds like its time to turn that thing into a garage fridge or sell it to someone else to use as a garage fridge. Your wife will appreciate a new appliance, as will you.

How far away is the local convenience store? If the fridge dies, run over and buy some ice, then shop for a new one. Otherwise, wait for it to go.

That's my plan. Mine's been making noises for five years. They come and go. I read about how they don't last today, and I realize that I'll be cheap and buy a cheap one; and I simply don't feel obligated to be proactive.

Today's appliances tend to be mostly junk, and with lots of higher tech gadgets to fail on you. It would seem they are now built to fail shortly after warranties expire.

I have a simple 1991 GE unit w/o ice maker in the kitchen and it's still cruising along. Wouldn't even consider replacing it until there's a symptom. We've had power outages lasting 3-5 days before and haven't once lost anything in the freezer section. It's stocked with frozen water bottles before any impending bad weather.

We have the old 1949 Kelvinator still chugging away in the garage keeping the pop/beer nice and cold, but I spose we should get rid of it....NOT!

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
We have the old 1949 Kelvinator still chugging away in the garage keeping the pop/beer nice and cold, but I spose we should get rid of it....NOT!

Put a kill-a-watt on it and see... That fridge could be costing you $5k per decade more than buying a newer fridge each decade.

If cosmetics are the only issue you are having, you got a good one. Fix the handle/trim, and run it until it dies.

The newer the appliance, the junkier it is (and this is from two appliance repairman who have been to my house recently, although I tend to agree with them.) Bought a brand new Bosch dishwasher in July and have had two service calls on it already.

While you might save on electricity, you will spend money on the purchase with massive potential for service calls once the puny warranty runs out. Bank some money and deal with it when it dies. I'll have my 23 year old Maytag washer/Dryer forever.

If it works well and gets cold keep it.. The new ones are junk! I am going through this now when i mean junk i mean junk. And forget about sub zero the only one worse than those are the frigidaire which start falling apart the day you plug them in..
If you do decide to get a new one get the 8 year warranty if they offer one like i did its expensive but you will get a new fridge within 8 years in sure because they just don't last.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Lapham3

Put a kill-a-watt on it and see... That fridge could be costing you $5k per decade more than buying a newer fridge each decade.

Doubtful..

I went to energystar.gov and use their "savings calculator" and put in before 1980, 19-21 CuFt, $0.12 per kwh. The pre 1980 fridge is estimated to cost $266 per year to run. The new one $49. Or a savings of $217 per year, $2170 a decade. Not a huge amount of $$ and that's not excluding the cost of the new appliance and assuming yours fits into the usage pattern of the government test.

Replacing things for efficiency's sake almost never makes sense financially. Have those that replaced their fridges even noticed a drop in the electric bill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back