Volvo 2.5T noise when cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 2002 S60 2..5T AWD with 116k for a third car. Started it this morning to run a few errands and prepare for a Mobil 1 0w-40 oil change to clean up any possible varnish/sludge. I test drove it twice before buying but heard something new this morning when it was cold. (Other two times it wasn't cold; private party and the owner was out runnng errands before I showed up.)

Whine isn't the right word and grind really isn't either. But in between and probably closer to a grind sound. It made the noise abut once every second for three minutes or so, as if part of a rotation. It went away after that, not to return during the errand running.

It seems like something was cold but got warm and calmed down. And when I say cold, it was in the garage where it was probably 50 degrees.

Searched high and low on Volvo forums. Seems to be several different sounds people have posted about. The threads I found that seemed to be discussing this particular sound mostly ended in a "Don't sweat it, that's just what Volvos do!" place. I'd like to know a little more.

Any ideas what this may be? Planning on stethoscoping tomorrow.

Could be idler and/or tension pulley. Both my trucks do it when cold, the Ranger constant and the Dodge chirps each revolution of one of the pulleys. I will change them all when they get worse. Both go away when warmed up.

Last edited:
This may or may not use an electric secondary air injection pump depending on country.
If it does the pierburg pump used in this engine is the same as VW/Audi and is notorious for whining/grinding noises at cold start.
It may also use a kombi valve, if it does these can fail without tripping a CEL and can cause moisture to go to the pump further exacerbating the condition.

I can't add to your Volvo question, but will say that when I am first evaluating a car, I always make fluid checks and then engine start from cold=makes for a better evaluation I think-good luck

Hello, To Trav's point of that valve failing (letting moisture into the fan's housing): Posters on the Volvo boards claim drilling a vent hole near the hose boss will allow the moisture to escape.
THey also mention that the electronics are located in the bottom of the housing so OF COURSE any accumulated moisture will attack those parts easily.

I say this from reading the Volvo boards as I've only owned 2 non-turbo V70s. Non-turbos don't have the air pump. Kira

I am pretty sure that uses the VW/Audi air pump. I have heard them turn slow and make the noise you describe but it still provided enough air to keep the CEL off.
Other times its a high pitched whine with scraping or grinding noise, all sorts of possible symphonies with these.

Its easy to check, just unplug it, if the noise stops, look no further and find a good used OE one, a new one is expensive. It will set a code though so keep in mind that it will need to be cleared.

If it goes away after the car warms up, then check the PS pump. Notorious Volvo issue...google "Volvo power steering pump whine"

Usually cured by a siphon and fluid replacement over time.

That 2.5 is a great motor. Be sure to address the PCV issues, that could also be the problem. Do the test where you remove the dipstick with the engine running, you can hear if there is a PCV issue. Watch here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmHM-jVsmOs

Last edited:
Thanks. Stethoscope this morning seemed really helpful. Think it's one of the pulleys or tensioner. I'll keep digging, but that's where I'll focus next.

Coach, PVC kit is on the way. Hoping to do it over NY weekend. Not looking forward to doing it, but looking forward to having it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back