oil prospects for oil change In my 95 SC300

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my 95 SC3 with no leaks EVER (probably the only reason to have the slug V6 over the ultra quick V8), I just topped off maybe .3 to .4 or almost half quart with PYB 10-30 with those Acive agents for sludge in a Valvoline 5w-30 full syn OCI but still, bone conventional oil so conventional wisdom would dictate it would not be a game changer but this "thing" (oil) quieted my cabin noise(read: less wear) associated with late in an OCI oil performance to almost nil or non-existent for all intents and purpose and mind you, this is TOPPING off oil stage or basically the "I might be coming up on an oil change".

My short-list for potential oil change oil SELECTIONS are as follows:
Quaker "Flake" State Ultimate Durability full syn 5w-30 (or 5w-20)
M1 AFE 0w-30 or 20
Another round with the same Valvoline "Synpower" 5w-30
Motorcraft 5w-20 syn blend (had good success read: better FE *and performance
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
) with this oil in my prev DD, the venerable vtec v6.

What would you choose? This is for a 5w-30 fill for a Lex Sc3

Keep in mind the temps are pretty moderate, nothing too cold or too hot, for this OCI in SE texas for a few short months so I could drop down to a 0w-20, 5w-20, or 5w-30. Is this sound rationale and logic for dropping down from the usual 5w-30 fill on this vehicle? I have never used 20 weight oil and neither has prev owner as far as I know, we have all used 5w-30 and the aforementioned 10-30 for topping off so the viscosity and additive packs are replenished in a chemically responsible mixture/way.

Last edited:
Our Lexus V6 loves Pennzoil Platinum.

In our older GS300 with the same engine as yours, I would have run the same thing (got rid of it a while back before that oil was available).

In our mild conditions, I use 10w-30. And so do some friends of mine in Texas.

Last edited:
Not trying to sound rude, but you are putting way too much thought into oil choice for an almost 21 year-old vehicle. I'd just stick with the conventional Pennzoil (or other reasonable priced conventional of your choice) and call it good
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
Not trying to sound rude, but you are putting way too much thought into oil choice for an almost 21 year-old vehicle. I'd just stick with the conventional Pennzoil (or other reasonable priced conventional of your choice) and call it good
smile.gif

No kidding....I recommend Fleet Farm Resolute 5w-30...lol

German Castrol 5w-30 it is! Is it the Made in Spain one that has SUPPLANTED the Made in Germany? ha ha but seriously guys, I might just try that MC 5w-20 if ratchets up the performance portfolio like it did on my prev DD, the venerable Vtec V6! Mild temps year round like most of you all dictates you can use anything and pretty much get away with it but not so fast down hure in SE texas where it is EXTREME 8 out of 12 months and by extreme, I think you know which side of extreme that thing tilts towards! I plan on taking advantage of moderate temps and the opportunity to explore the FE or performance envelopes some of the lighter viscosity affords!

Last edited:
Agree..... with the Motorcraft Syn-Blend fill 5w20. Should work well in your climate An OCI of between 5K to 7.5K....depending on your driving habits.

A Motorcraft filter should work well.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Ford oil in a Lexus just seems.... immoral.

It is just for 1 OCI to see if I can capture the same performance and efficiency (FE)in another app than this Lexus despite being 20+ years old being a 1995! It's a "WILDCARD" and X-Factor choice because it makes the shortlist solely based on a previous personal application in my previous DD. "What had happened was", I used this oil in a 2006 Accord (V6) that "Called for" 5w-20 and car felt exproportionally (yes, I made that word with the combo of exponential and proportional) quicker and added 1-2 MPGs. I know BITOG will be incredulous but again, it was a personal observation and I wouldn't have believed it had I not experienced it!! BITOG will love to know that it originally in 2003 (when that gen began) called for 5w-30 so I know, I know, as far as BITOG is concerned, it SHOULD have 5w-30.

I like TGMO but the price can be high coming from a stealership and I can get MC at Walmart surreptitiously as well as discretely at Walmart. Too many eyeballs at stealers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jsfalls
smile.gif

Exactly. SuperTech 5W-30 would be fine. Any SN oil exceeds the specs your 1995 vehicle needed.

Almost any full-syn left at AutoZone's national clearance would be fine ($2/qt)

M1 0w-30 AFE or 0w-40 Euro
Castrol Edge Gold Bottle 5/10w-30
Castrol Edge Black Bottle 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-40 Euro's
Pennz Ultra 0w-40 or 5w-40 Euro/SRT
Royal Purple 5w-30

Ive stocked up on some of those, many still had full price displayed but rang up for $2/qt. All those would be great and cheap for your Lex

What ATF does your Lex spec?

I've seen Lucas Synthetic ATF Multi-Vehicle, M1 ATF (Dex III/Mercon &V ) and Castrol Full Syn ATF (DEX III & VI, Mercon V and LV approved) for $2/qt also.

Originally Posted By: Islandvic
Almost any full-syn left at AutoZone's national clearance would be fine ($2/qt)

M1 0w-30 AFE or 0w-40 Euro
Castrol Edge Gold Bottle 5/10w-30
Castrol Edge Black Bottle 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-40 Euro's
Pennz Ultra 0w-40 or 5w-40 Euro/SRT
Royal Purple 5w-30

Ive stocked up on some of those, many still had full price displayed but rang up for $2/qt. All those would be great and cheap for your Lex

What ATF does your Lex spec?

I've seen Lucas Synthetic ATF Multi-Vehicle, M1 ATF (Dex III/Mercon &V ) and Castrol Full Syn ATF (DEX III & VI, Mercon V and LV approved) for $2/qt also.

Is the M1 0w-30 AFE readily available at WM. THis 30 weight version of the AFE family intrigues me cause it would keep me in spec with what the manufacturer dictates! In addition, however, it is in the "0W" family so it uses better base stocks and perhaps some GP IV? This is speculation and not empirical so don't throw momma under the bus.
As far as ATF, I have nary an idea what this 95 Lex Sc3 dictates by manuf. IS there a billy bad [censored] ATF I can use to outperform whatever the GMC dealer who sold it to me used?

Quote:
As far as ATF, I have nary an idea what this 95 Lex Sc3 dictates by manuf. IS there a billy bad [censored] ATF I can use to outperform whatever the GMC dealer who sold it to me used?

Toyota has used GM-type atf's. I believe the spec in 1995 was Toyota T-III, which was Dexron III based. You can replace that fluid with synthetic Valvoline Maxlife, also cheap in gallon jugs at Walmart. That also will work in your PS system, good habit to replace them together to make sure the oft-neglected PS gets serviced.

Also, nothing wrong with Motorcraft products in a Lexus. I use Motorcraft FL-400S filters in ours. Great performance, easy to get, great value.

I don't use Motorcraft oil because to me, the value isn't there. I can get Pennzoil Platinum for only a few dollars more per 5qt jug, and very often less w/rebates. I'm comfortable running 50% longer OCIs with it. So it's cheaper and less work in the long run.

Not sure if 0w-30 M1 should be available at WalMart. If not, M1 EP 5w-30 should be, along w/ Fram Ultra filters. If you are not going to do extended drain OCI's, Fram ToughGuards are good for 5-8k mile OCI's still.

If the GMC dealer did a trans service, then I wouldn't worry about the ATF. If there isn't documentation on either a flush and/or filter-fluid change, I would look into those synthetic ATF's at AutoZone clearance for $2/qt. If there are no AZ's near by, Wal-Mart has Val MaxLife in red bottle/jugs as Oro-O had posted.

In a 20 year old Toyota engine in Texas, I would not be too worried about keeping strictly to the 5w-30 spec. The same engine exported to Europe, Asia and Australia in the sane time period prob had oil specs ranging from 5w-30 to 10w-40. Quality 0w-30/40's through 5w-40's would prob be fine.

I've been using Motorcraft oil and filters in the 2005 Toyota Matrix. Seems to be a great combination. It was a popular idea a few years ago when I was on the Accord forum and they were using it over there as well.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I've been using Motorcraft oil and filters in the 2005 Toyota Matrix. Seems to be a great combination. It was a popular idea a few years ago when I was on the Accord forum and they were using it over there as well.

Yes, it is. A lot of Land Cruisers, LX 470s, truck owners use the FL400s and FL-1a. Toyota uses 3/4-16 filter studs so you get a lot of options at low cost, high quality.

I don't use it in my Acura because the threads are metric and and they don't have the silicone ones in that size (and I do need it there).

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

I used Motorcraft filters in mom's 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokeee. A FL400 was a perfect match for the 3.7 V6. I also used them occasionally in a friends Chrysler PT Cruiser non-turbo, until that size became difficult to find.

As for not liking the concept of using Motorcraft oil, it is really ConocoPhillips oil with Ford emblems on it. Would you fell bad if you were pouring TropArctic oil in your car? Your car is getting basically the same thing.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
2JZ-GE.

Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30

You can thank me later.
thumbsup2.gif

I just learned that using anything below 10w in SE Texas is not ideal or optimum since it is hot here 8 or 9 out of 12 months and some say all 12 months as this year is shaping out to be! This point of using a 10w when traditionally it has been a 5w-xx to the exclusion of all other COLD temp viscosity. Now as far as 10w weights go, I am new to this realm aside from the PYB 10-30 but I have seen this weight in the Valvoline and Castrol so it is between these so far. I am about 9300 miles so still have a few to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back